Gun while Riding?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by lococycle, Oct 20, 2009.

1. lococycle

lococycle Guest

Does anyone here concealed carry while riding their bike? The only people I have noticed doing this were bike cops and it wasn't really concealed.

2. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

You could put it in a fanny pack. Or an hydration pack.
    I leave mine home while riding.

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

The problem with fanny pack's purses, etc. is that is what people who are trying to hurt you are typically after.

4. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

Just when I thought I was safe from gun threads... [​IMG]

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

What's wrong with gun threads? This is a legitimate cycling issue.

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

My state is very liberal in handing out concealed carry permits.

That said, I think that the OP should clarify his post a bit. Does he want to know how others conceal their weapons, or just if other cyclists carry?

7. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

One of my favorite training rides on the MTB used to be a fireroad that I had heard had some access to certain areas where meth was manufactured. I never had a problem, but I was glad to know I had my pistol close at hand. However, the only convenient place to carry it was in my CamelBak, so I'm not sure how quickly I could have gotten to it.

8. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

We have a MUP in town here, that's a 46+-mile RT through town and over to the next one (and more is being added). I was doing the 'extension' to the next town last summer, and encountered what I believe to be a retired Chief of Police. He openly carried a revolver as he rode a classic road bike -- and was fairly quick on it! With a 1/4-mile or so headstart on me, it took me almost 6 miles to catch him (on my MTB). I wanted to dust him, drop him, make him eat flying rubber off my back tire, because when he passed me (I was stopped, checking out the sights, and his pass was a little hazardous), he ticked me off a little. Well, he didn't eat rubber, but he saw me vanish in front of him eventually.

The ONLY time I've knowingly encountered an armed rider.

9. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

I agree the OP should clarify the question. more.

CTD50, Thats kind of the purpose of a ccw, you cant see them.

Xela, you might check out some of the stuff a Maxpedition.

10. Michigander

Michigander Member

In Michigan open carry is perfectly legal, and I do it regularly. I do this for many reasons, but that isn't important. What does bear mentioning is that it's the only way I am aware of to carry a firearm of any suitable size while bicycling, and have the means to deploy it quickly. Particularly if the weather is hot, and you're wearing lycra.

You could do something like wear baggy shorts and an over sized t shirt to accommodate a IWB holster, but my legs ache just considering the extra wind resistance work that would cause.:eek:

11. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

We have a few Mountain Lions who roam the area from time to time, I have carried a small caliber pistol for the noise factor twice when they were close, only needed it once though. Don't know if anyone else has seen one of these cats close up, but it is REALLY scary. I wouldn't/couldn't shoot one, but you have to make noise and stuff to get them to leave, if you run you are toast, and every fiber in your body wants to run or ride REAL fast. :eek:

For me the wildlife is the threat, not a lot of people around thankfully, but that is why I live up here, I can live with the critters.

DrB

12. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I leave the artillery at home while riding. I suppose that if I rode in areas where there were potential threats e.g. mtn lions, grizzly bears etc. I would consider carrying, but I doubt that it would do much good anyway. I don't think I can out draw a mtn lion.

13. Treeslam

Treeslam New Member

To answer your question, yes I do conceal carry while riding. I carry a Keltec P3AT with a side clip. Weight is not an issue and will clip inside the wastband of almost anything you would wear while riding.

14. Industry_Hack

If you throw it hard enough, that thing could do some damage.

15. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

New Avatar Industry? I think were all right on this one. Mtndoc you couldn't shoot a mountain Lion? I have seen those things up close and I would shoot it if it looked at me funny. Those tings are Scary and I would hate to go up against one without a firearm of some sort. They make rifle holsters for atv's they might make them for bikes?

16. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

OK, Skid, a couple people talk about CCW -- not the OT, BTW -- and you want to talk down to me. Thanks.

Let ME clarify something...you've done better things in life.

17. Industry_Hack

Yes. See, I'm a writer. You can tell by my media badge and free beer. :rolleyes:

18. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Negative on the talk down to CT. Not the intention of my post. Origional post was not specific enough IMO> neither was the second. Painting with a broad brush. Would have helped if you had added just a bit more on your situation or interest. I know its easy to do when posting. No personal offense intended. Relax man, life is short.

I have been very close to a panther twice in the Glades. Same thing as a Cougar and they are scary. My daugher and I were charged by three dogs tonight but just turned out to be Labs. When dismounted the bike, yelled "go home" and pointed, they turned and headed home. We did see a HUGE cotton mouth, but it was making every effort to get out of the road and away from us.

When I ride I carry a cell phone w/ bluetooth earpiece, pepper spray, Ruger LCP / Crimson Trace, two tubes, tire repair kit, misc hex wrenches, cable, lock, cash, eye glass cloth, basic first aid stuff, benadryl.

19. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

No dangerous animals in this area of the World, at least enough to carry a gun.

Honestly never carried a gun while biking. Never even been in a position where I was worried bad might happen.

20. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Mtn lions are not really that agressive unless they are REAL hungry or you corner them, only want to make a lot of noise and look real big and potentially mean, extremely unlikely they will attack if you don't run. If they really are gonna eat you, there won't be time to get weapon out anyway, only use to discourage. Would I shoot one, not with the peashooter I had, only piss em off and I'd be toast for sure:eek:. I think the bang sticks someone talked about to scare away dogs would work as well. I don't carry anything now, they pretty much will leave you alone, they are after easier prey than a maniac on a bike, I wonder if they are intimidated by the bike, interesting thought. While I don't intend to go lookin for one, I think it would be something I would enjoy if it happened again, sounds crazy, but after some thought since posting last night, that is the conclusion I came to.... maybe I am crazy?

Have only had one encounter on the road, last year and one several years ago at my house, they are magnificant animals and basically indifferent to humans from my experience, SCARY as hell, but fascinating as well.

DrB