Two Spoke Forums banner

41 - 60 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Where I live, I'm statistically more likely to encounter a bear with an attitude than a bad guy with a gun.
Animals more of a problem for me too, but I just close my eyes and hope they go away now...:thumbsup:

Did anyone besides me see the tweet from Levi about riding behind a mountain lion???? I'm guessing it was a pet, cause I wouldn't get that close to a wild one on a bet!!!!!

DrB

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's just that a gun is such a poor defensive weapon. Especially from a bicycle. I'd thing something like an aerosol boat horn, mounted to the handlebars would give you the necessary response time.
I saw an old guy get mugged while riding his tricycle. I was stopped at a traffic light in my truck. Saw the whole thing. The guy didn't have a chance. Two guys strolled up and grabbed him, threw him on the ground and grabbed his wallet and ran. Wouldn't have been any different if th old man had an AK-47.
99% of the time the agressor has the advantage, wheather man or beast. Maybe a gun for back-up. But I want something more accessable.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
A blow horn? So they're deaf when they rob you? I'll stick with the guns. That way they're dead when they try to rob me.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have no problem with people carrying guns, concealed or otherwise. I have no porblem with people owning guns. But why carry while riding? Where are you riding that you need to carry a gun? If it is a safety issue and there are no alternative routes I understand. But why carry? Is it because it is your legal right to do so? Is that the only reason you carry?

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I have no problem with people carrying guns, concealed or otherwise. I have no porblem with people owning guns. But why carry while riding? Where are you riding that you need to carry a gun? If it is a safety issue and there are no alternative routes I understand. But why carry? Is it because it is your legal right to do so? Is that the only reason you carry?
Do you carry?

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
No. I do not own a gun. I do know how to shoot, but it has been a while. the reason I do not own one is they are incredibly expensive. I have other things I need to spend my money on.
That's like saying that bicycle helmets are expensive. My two carry guns (no, not at the same time :rolleyes:) cost between $500-700 each. My tactical rifle came in about $1,600 with accessories. For 99.99% of the time, they are really just sporting equipment, so spending as much on a weapon as I would on a bicycle makes perfect sense.

As far as why I would carry while bike riding, to me that's no different than wearing your seatbelt in a car - you can't just do it some of the time. The odds of ever needing to actually draw my weapon are incredibly small. But I'd rather have it with me when the time comes, than not. And as I stated earlier, I'm more likely to need it for an animal than a human when I'm on my bicycle or motorcycle. The canyon we ride our bikes in is the same one where my friend's nephew got taken by a bear on Father's Day a few years ago.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
The right that preserves my freedom is one reason to carry. Animals another. Human animals another. It seems to me that I would rather be caught with one and not need it then without and need it.

I honestly feel it is the duty of every American to Cary a firearm. That's the reason it was written in to the constitution. Preservation of freedom only happens through a well armed ,educated populace.

41 - 60 of 176 Posts