Gym Workout vs. Home

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by bicycle_betti, Aug 4, 2009.

1. bicycle_betti

bicycle_betti Guest

Do you prefer going to the gym to work out or staying at home and working up a sweat for free? What do you find as the pros and cons?

I guess the biggest con I can think of about the gym is that there is really no open space to ride your bike. That's my best exercise!

2. VeloBliss

VeloBliss Guest

I like a bit of both. I prefer to be home when I can work it out well, but when it gets cold, i hit the weights to stay in the best shape possible for spring training. Unless you have an awesome gym at home, the equipment available at a gym is just unbeatable.

3. itself

itself New Member

I put a small Parabody freeweight Gym in my house in 1998 and have never looked back. I used to compete in bodybuilding and powerlifting, and really tired of the gym scene. I still sweat at home and like the fact I just get up, get my coffee and walk to the next room.

But you definitely lose the social connection at the gym, and for a single person, this might be important.

Lisa

4. LittleDonny

LittleDonny Guest

Couldn't you make your house your gym by lifting heavy household objects repeatedly in interesting ways?

5. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

I lift 3 days a week then I cycle 3 days a week and if it's raining I use my oil trainer.

I have a complete gym at home but I have started at a good full gym just to have a few more pieces of equipment to use and with head phones no one to bother me. I move a lot of pig iron.

I'm a diabetic so it's """DO OR DIE""" and I'm 67

6. dontcrash

dontcrash Guest

I prefer to just have dumb bells and a pull up bar

7. Eagle

Eagle New Member

I am a gym nut haha, I train 6 days a week, 3 days its a split, I like to ride or run to the gym get the heart rate up, but it all comes down to personal preference.
    I like the vast variety of free weights and machines available at the gym, plus all the cardio stuff.

8. chibibike

chibibike Banned

I have a home gym with lots of different equipment but I don't have a tredmil so I just go to the gym to run on the tredmil about 6 miles and the spinning and steping and zumba classes