Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For over two weeks I've been battling a pretty severe cold and sinus infection that has kept me off the bike. I've just been too weak. However the LBS was having its last organized ride of the year yesterday with a "Earn the turkey" thanksgiving ride. The ride leader promised an easy 20-25 miles at a reasonable 15-16mph and minimal if any climbing. Seemed like something I could handle OK. Temp was in the low 30s and so with a base layer and tights I was plenty comfy. At the last minute the leader decides to deviate from plan and take a different route to pick up another rider on the way out. Guess what...it's a climb...and barely 3 miles in. I just could not recover. My breathing would not return to normal so I had to bail at 6 miles. Felt bad but the last thing I needed was to risk a relapse. The group has some strong riders and is actually very supportive of noobs like me but I just did not feel I could keep up my end for another 20 miles.

On the return route it started to snow...and I have to say that riding the return 6 miles on the deserted holiday roads with snow falling was very nice.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I am sure there will be lots more rides,and hope you are feeling better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Wild - if it is sunny tomorrow I may go for a "recovery ride"!
Also need to dial in some clipless pedals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts