Half Century Man (+) reaches goal of half century ride

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Mike1jw, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Not only did I reach my goal of doing a half century ride, but this 50 mile ride has to be the best yet. I started in Fort Lee, NJ rode across the George Washington Bridge, up the west side of Manhattan to Inwood Hill Park (top of Manhattan), down the east side (river view where possible, but the path is broken up along the east side making it necessary to ride on the street, which at times can be pretty wild !!!) over the Manhattan Bridge, through Brooklyn, back over the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan, down the east side to Battery Park, up the west side (which is a dedicated path all the way back up the George Washington Bridge!), past Ground Zero :( , up the west side path to 76th St., cross town to Central Park, around Central Park, back 77th St. to the west side path, up the west side, and back over the GWB. WHEW!

This has to be the greatest way to see NYC!

I tooked about 175 pics of this route, on two trips (yes, I did it twice!) If you like, check out the pics at the link below. You might need to download a plug-in to view the slide show. One of these days, I'm going to comment on each pic and give it's location. This is an awesome ride I wish everyone could experience.

Manhattan bike ride - 50 mile - Windows Live

2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Very nice slideshow ! I love Manhattan.

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Great job, Mike! :thumbsup:

4. georgec

georgec Member

Congrats on the 50 miles and thanks for the pics. It nice to see what goes on in other parts of the country and US. I can't even think what it must be like to be around all those people. There is more people in those pictures than live in the town I live in.

5. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Congrats on reaching your goal. Sure is interesting to see a different riding enviroment. Thanks for sharing.

6. infinitemass

infinitemass New Member

Great job. Congrats!!

7. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

That sounds like a tour I would like to take :thumbsup: so when are you booking :D. I can't see your slide show I have dialup here :hate:, yes I still get my TV of an antenna too. I came from Brooklyn down here to the swamp about 58 years ago :rolleyes:, I was back in the city about 2 months ago and thaught I wish I had my bike. Keep on haveing fun Mike thats what it is about.:thumbsup: :D

8. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Thanks for all the encouragement! Actually I think I posted this thread with the wrong title. I really wanted to highlight the ride, not me. It has to be the best way to see NYC! I have been on the west side in the past, from the GW Bridge down to Battery park and back, but I was a little nervous about going up to the top, and down the east side. That was until I came across this web site (link below) which gave turn-by-turn directions. There's a couple of little detours that have to be made because of construction on one of the bridges on the East River, but otherwise, the directions are great. I also extended the ride by going over the Manhattan Bridge, back over the Brooklyn Bridge and a loop around Central Park. I love to get out on some nice country roads in Jersey and ride 30 or 40 miles, but riding in NYC is amazing. If you have the opportunity, you gotta try it. When I get a chance, I'm going to label the location of the photos from the side show.

newyork.timeout.com/articles/features/.../the-perfect-waterfront-ride

9. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

Nyc

If you want to add more miles to your ride when you ride to Brooklyn don't take the Brooklyn bridge too many tourist take the Manhattan bridge then follow the bike path to prospect park, do the loop and take get out in ocean parkway and ride that all the way down to coney island have a hot dog and chilli fries and then ride back to the george washington. if you feel strong take 9W and ride until you pass out. If you feel like getting away from it all you can ride your bike to pier 11 take the boat to sandy hook NJ (they allow bikes on the boat) and you can ride down the Jersey shore. The beaches are all free now and its not packed with people so you really enjoy the ride. If your not ready to go that far you can take the free ferry to governors island and hang out there (best jerk chicken) and they have the best view of the statue of liberty.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  10. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Time is the only limiting factor. But it's a thought... it's a thought!