Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went for a nice 40-miler the other day and by the end of my ride, my entire pinky and side of my left hand were tingling and numb. Same thing yesterday after a 20-miler. I thought it would go away quickly if I just kept moving my hand but it was still tingling after almost 2 hours! I wear gloves, have what I feel is pretty cushioney handlebar tape and I try to keep my hands moving while I ride... so what gives? Anyone else have this problem??

·
Registered
19 Posts
do you have any neck issues as well? friend of mine had a vertebral misalignment that caused the same numbness. i'd go for a deep massage and see if that doesn't help. can't lose either way with that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seat shouldn't be too high, I just had a fitting and it feels comfortable. And I haven't noticed too much neck pain, although I may have to fain some just for that massage ;) I think I'll take a look at those shock-tek gloves... seems like the nerve that's the main issue. Thanks for the advice skycomag!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My friend had this problem last year. He ended up with ulnar neuropathy. His solution was to wear specialized BG gloves. The padding, similar to what skycomag posted, helps prevent this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually did a little research yesterday and I'm pretty sure it's my ulnar nerve that is the problem... still tingling and numb after 2 full days. I think my LBS carries the specialized gloves you're talking about so I might have to pay them a visit this weekend. Thanks DCUmagat!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can recommend the Specialized BG Mitts. Also might be worth considering some softer bar tape - Specialized's Roubaix tape is extra spongy to deal with the 'cobbles'. Best advice though is try and keep regularly stretching your hands whilst riding and changing your hand positions. Most numbness comes from when your hands are resting on the brake levers so try the top of the bars a little more if you tend to ride on the levers a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts