Handlebar Helmet Lock

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by funetical, Dec 21, 2009.

1. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Cruising around town yesterday I see a chained up bike with it's helmet attached to the handle bars. Seemed cool so you wouldn't have to carry it every where. Any body ever seen one of these? I looked like a good kick could have knocked it free but I don't know. To be clear it was a device that attached the helmet to the handle bars. Genius!

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Dude, have you ever heard of a motorcycle?

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

No Industry I haven't but that's OK this is a cycling forum. Why? Do they make those for the motorcycles?

4. Industry_Hack

Yeah, most motorcycles come with a helmet lock that latches on the D ring. Seems like you could make something similar for a bicycle. But I'm not sure why.

[edit] I hope no one mistakes our banter for actual arguing.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I could see how they might. I'm saying I saw it rigged up on a bicycle attached to a post though so somebody has made the transition. I'm sure if they market it they could get crazy rich. Like three wives living in Utah rich.

6. Industry_Hack

Why would anyone want three wives? One is more than enough. It was too much trouble just juggling a wife and a girlfriend.

You should have taken a photo.

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I don't carry a camera or a phone. I like to be disconnected. I did look up motorcycles with it though to see if I can modify the design like the other person did. It was sweet. I had never seen it on Motorcycles either so as you could imagine my mind is still blown.

8. Industry_Hack

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

So maybe just making a smaller one then? What's the typical diameter for a motorcycle handle?

10. Industry_Hack

I think the bars on my Harley are 1".

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Hmmm... If I can beat this dude to marketing maybe I can get filthy rich.

Attached Files:

12. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Why not simply use a tiny cable padlock and snatch your helmet through a vent hole and around a handlebar or frame member? Leave the padlock under your seat out of view when not in use.

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Because I can't make money off of it and it looks slick. I'm going out later today by the same spot. I hope it's still there I want to look it over.

14. Industry_Hack

15. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Hey nothing wrong with stealing a million dollar Idea if they don't know they have it. Should I just point it out and move on? Shrug my shoulders and say there goes my chance of not having to work ever again.

I very much hate working, and am constantly on the look out for means of stopping it.

16. Industry_Hack

I've got China on the phone right now, loser! :D

17. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Hello... Yes that's a wonderful idea... No I don't believe it's yours... Sure I understand but I think you need to get cream for that.

Did your come stock or was it after market?

18. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

funetical: Here's my idea for a million pounds. You can have it and anyone else online who is ambitious enough to actually pursue it can have it too. I call it "The Head Case". It's a means for people who work outside (riding or working) to have some relief from bitter cold and wind.

I picture a lightweight bubble helmet just like spacemen use to float around in space with. It would be of plastic with a smooth, round viewing window of clear or tinted plastic. The helmet would open like a suitcase and close around your head. Not like a full-face motorcycle helmet with the extended chin shape. Think spaceman. A round bubble with a fabric collar that tucks into your jacket. Something an Arctic explorer could use. No wind at all in you face.

In this little greenhouse there would be a tiny electric fan system (solar?) to circulate air and keep the face shield from fogging up. Maybe incorporate a cell phone system. The key is to keep the helmet very light of weight. My first impulse is to not have it be padded at all for its intent is not to save a bloke from impact but the bitter cold. But some kind of protective padding could be an option. I see iron workers and farmers, road crews and such finding such a thing useful. To me the worse part of winter is cold in your face and on your neck. The body is easy to cover.

And it's all yours. But you better hurry. Cat's out of the bag now.

Ian

19. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

See you think I'm not going to do it but I am.

20. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

I would buy the helmet lock but I would thipnk that's kind of looking for thieves o test it out or normal people to mess with your bike trying to figure out how you did it. I'm happy just carrying it around.