Two Spoke Forums banner

Hands go numb?

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  j3rd 
#1 · (Edited)
Any suggestions as to how to prevent my hands from going numb while riding?
I wear a good pair of riding gloves, and my saddle height has been adjusted so that my crotch doesn't get sore. What do you think? :confused:

#5 ·
I think photosbymark is right. and also remember to move your hands around, change positions, etc. I'm always amazed that as bicyclists we think we can sit in the same position for an hour, two hours, more and not get numb. If you sat in the same position you ride in not on a bike for hours you'd get numb then too! :)

#8 ·
Well my first reaction would be the balance of the weight between your backside and your hands. If too much of your body weight is supported by your hands, they will go numb.
Doug I think photos is right. I believe if you worked on your core strength it would help as well. If you have a weak(er) core you will put more weight on your hands and wrists to support your upper body as you ride.

#11 ·
Check with your local bike shop. You may have to buy an adapter. In the old days it was simple. Back then it was loosening a bolt on the top of the head tube and raise, but those days are long gone. Still it can be done. Some handle bars have more rise on them than others. One thing is for sure. Its no fun riding when your hands go numb.

#12 ·
I have a real problem with numbness and I found that a good set of gel gloves help some. I wrapped an extra layer of tape around my road bars for more surface area to grab onto. I like the drop bars because they give me few more places to shift my hands, which is the most important part of beating the numbness. I also get numb feet and I lift some of the weight off my feet as the pedals come up to help the circulation.

#15 ·
The Quick 6 I have is a 09 and you would have to change the stem to raise the bars. An ajustable stem would be the way to go I would think.
I had an adjustable stem and never changed it once I got it where I wanted it. A cheaper route may be a high-rise stem- cable length can be problematic as you raise and lower an adjustable, too tight when it's raised, sloppy when it's lowered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.