Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do any of you have experiance using Competitive Cyclist?... i ordered a new Yeti Arc to replace my well used Kona Primo, placing the order on 3/16 with an expected ship date of 3/22 then the next day the expected ship date changed to 3/23 now it has changed to 3/25. none of which is a big deal, i was just wondering if this seems normal. i really don't care, unless they keep pushing the date back further and further. i think the 9 days from 3/16-3/25 is sufficient time to ship a frame. if it gets past 10 or so, it is a little silly in my book. i normally don't order anything just use the LBS, so maybe this is normal. I have only used Tree Fort Bikes and they get stuff out in less than 5 days.

I would have purchased the frame from a shop but wanted a Yeti and no one anywhere near me carries them.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I don't think I've bought from them, but I'm reasonably sure I sold them some advertising once upon a time. If you run into any trouble, let me know, and I'll see if I still have a contact there.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I've bought from them, but I'm reasonably sure I sold them some advertising once upon a time. If you run into any trouble, let me know, and I'll see if I still have a contact there.
thanks Hack, i will let you know. i don't want to be a picky customer, or pest... plus, i am in no real hurry. i was just surprised when my LBS got my new fork in and the frame was not even being shipped for almost a week longer. Usually my LBS(great guys) figure when ordered, bike parts are best shipped by yak and like wine will only be better with age.
no worries though, it will be here soon enough.... and i have plenty of bikes to ride.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Sprocket girl its not unreasonable to expect someone to actually do what they say they are going to do. When it got pushed back the second time, in my book you are due and explanation. Pushing it back once and only a day, I wouldn't be too concerned. The second shift makes me think they might have a supply problem. If its back ordered, they should tell you and let you decide if you want to wait.

I ran into this recently trying to get a wheel for my Z4. I went through at least a dozen websites willing to sell me one, happy to take and charge my card, but no one actually had the wheel. They were going to go out and "find me one" by basically going to the same sites I was.

The site had a number displayed. IF it works and you get an answer from someone that seems to be an employee of the company, you are probably ok. They should want to tell you what is going on and when to expect your shipment. Looks like you are going to enjoy the bike

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sprocket girl its not unreasonable to expect someone to actually do what they say they are going to do. When it got pushed back the second time, in my book you are due and explanation. Pushing it back once and only a day, I wouldn't be too concerned. The second shift makes me think they might have a supply problem. If its back ordered, they should tell you and let you decide if you want to wait.

I ran into this recently trying to get a wheel for my Z4. I went through at least a dozen websites willing to sell me one, happy to take and charge my card, but no one actually had the wheel. They were going to go out and "find me one" by basically going to the same sites I was.

The site had a number displayed. IF it works and you get an answer from someone that seems to be an employee of the company, you are probably ok. They should want to tell you what is going on and when to expect your shipment. Looks like you are going to enjoy the bike
that was kinda my concern, i am cool with waiting. depending on the wait, a few weeks is cool but until next year when Yeti makes a new batch is a little different.
i sent customer service an e-mail after reading your post. if they don't get back to me sometime tomorrow, i will give them a ring...
thanks for the tips and help.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I buy from them all the time. I, so far, have no complaints. I grew up in LR and still go down there quite a bit to visit family and usually end up dropping by when I am there. I know a friend of a friend there who can get answers if you don't have any luck. That being said, I've never tried the email approach for customer service, but I highly doubt you won't get your questions answered if you call them.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
With regards to Photosbymark's comments, CC does not use an answering service. If they are open, it will be an actual employee at the shop/warehouse that answers the phone.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Funny how I find email has a great many limitation with this type of issue. Tone makes all the difference which is difficult to communicate in an email. If someone answers the phone that is pleasant and seems glad to check on your purchase, then comes back and says I'm sorry this order fell behind for reason X or Y or Z and will be shipped to you on Q date. Is this still ok? Odds are its not a problem.

If the grumpy guy answers the phone and just says with a don't bother me attitude, It will ship Q date, its a BIG difference.

No need to panic, especially with Xela's comments. Most of the online places that really don't care go to great lengths to hide their phone number.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone... i spoke with them this morning and the frame will be shipped this week. they unpack and inspect the frame. Making sure the bb, headtube, and derailleur hanger are ready to accept parts. they check for flaws or blemishes and then repack the frame and ship. thus, when moving a lot of bikes like this time of year it sometimes takes a little while.
i appreciate this service and believe it is more than worth waiting a few days for. as stated it was nice to talk directly to someone.
the gentleman i spoke to was amazingly helpful and even said that if i shipped my headset, fork and bottom bracket they would install them at no charge prior to shipping the frame.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Isn't in nice to find out you have nothing to worry about.
yes it is nice, thanks for the advice.

the face n chase is super cool and i opted out of the install only because i have not decided on a few parts but they are cool people.
i am excited to get the new frame... i will post picks when it arrives and show it as it becomes a bicycle.
i selected a crankbrothers headset (it is made by cane creek) a matching stem, bars and seatpost from crankbrothers. have not decided what else will go on there but will by the time it gets here.

·
12,350 Posts
When my tandem frame arrived, I took it to the local shop to see if the bottom brackets needed to be cleaned up. Titanium is brutal on facing tools, and the quote they gave me to do both was painful. Luckily, it turns out that the builder had already done that.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Competitive Cyclist is unreal. I got a tour of their old shop and warehouse a few years back. We walk into the warehouse and they had about a 50 foot packed with $2000 power meters, more Lightweight wheelsets than you can imagine, multi-thousand dollar frames out the whazoo, etc. It was really quite amazing how much (both quantity and cost) inventory they had.

The shop area was immaculate. I'm still debating whether this is good or bad. To me, a somewhat dirty shop area in a bike shop feels me right.

At the time they were building a Pegoretti up for Robin Williams. They told me at that point, it was about the 9th bike he had bought from them.

They advertise specials often on their Facebook and Twitter (@CompCyclist) pages. They are currently having an inventory reduction sale with some pretty good deals.

·
12,350 Posts
The shop I worked at in Australia was in an old two story building, with the upper level being a 15" wide walkway running all the way around the store. They kept 2,000 bikes in stock. Every other shop I've ever been in (even Supergo and the original Performance) would have fit neatly inside this building. And they didn't even do web sales.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts