Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to get an indoor trainer or rollers for my new bike. new bike.jpg I am handicapped and have no balance. I am training to ride Cross Country 3872 miles and want to ride long distance. Does anybody have any suggestions about some trainers or rollers for this RWD Bike? Since money is an issue I am thinking maybe the best move would to buy 2 cheep rollers $200 each and use those? Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Mitch,

First good on you for taking up cycling and training for an awesome ride!

For your bike, I think you are on the right path with using two sets of cheap rollers.

Are your rear wheels quick release? I apologize but am not familiar with your style of bike. If they have skewers it might be possible to use 2 cheap trainers, but then there is the issue of mounting/dismounting and I am not sure what your mobility is like to be able to lift two wheels off of trainers versus just pushing the bike off of two sets of rollers.

I noticed your avatar is a neuro scan, I applaud you for taking up cycling despite facing difficulties. You're an inspiration to the rest of us.

Ride On!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Two sets of rollers would probably be the simplest solution, if you have the room.

I'm a bit inclined to disagree with your use of the word "handicapped". Your abilities may be somewhat limited, but it doesn't sound like that's a barrier to accomplishing more than most people.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow!! A picture of my MRI and me in a recumbent bike and somebody is already questioning my use of the word "handicapped?"

Well, since you didn't use any "four letter words."

I'm just going say, Thank God my Drive is still intact!!!!:D

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Just like the runner with prosthetic legs, I think there is a difference between "handicapped" and having some obstacles to overcome. I know perfectly able people that couldn't get off the couch and on a bike to save their lives. That seems more like a handicap to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't confuse Laziness and a Handicap. Believe me, I would do most anything in this universe to be able to not worry about Gravity, but Gravity is constantly ( here on earth,) and unless, somebody will graciously fund me $100k to go to space , I'm staying with the word handicapped.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a trainer earlier which had three rollers, two for the backwheels and one for the front. It was telescopic to cope with different bikes, the main problem with it was staying on, it was very easy to go sideways of it. But that was riding a diamondframe bike

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I did order the two mini rollers for the back wheels and the riser block for the front wheel They will probably get here on Monday. I'll use them and then let you guys know how they work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts