Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THAT I HATE HEADWINDS?!?!?!

Had what felt like a strong ride for me, but was held back by the invisible wall everyone calls wind. I swear it felt like I was hauling a load of bricks.

I did have a stretch of about 4 miles that the wind "pushed" me though, I did like that.:D

Getting about time to lengthen the ride again. :)

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,616 Posts
headwinds are a reminder of why not to get fat for me... they can be like carrying a second self.....

·
Two skinny J's
21,369 Posts
There is no wind, there is no wind, there is no wind...only momentum reducing forces at work :) We had 30 mph gusts of momentum reducers today with 20 steady... My legs felt like lead as my partner left me in the dust today.

Who needs a trainer when you have free momentum reducing factors working for..or is that against you.

·
Two skinny J's
21,369 Posts
Cruel joke

Glad i made it home before this but I did have some contractors putting in composite handrails for my new steps....they bolted with the first flash of lightening and thunder hail....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD1D3v01MPA]YouTube - Holy crap this is a day late for a April fools[/ame]​

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL Rola, that was what we had last night about 10 minutes after I got home from my bike commute from work.

My winds were comparable I'm sure but haven't looked it up.

Took my boy to the park to fly his kite afterwards.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well I was riding the other day and a gust of wind hit me that was strong enough I felt like I was going to stop. I had to pedal. That's not so unusual, but it is a bit unusual for it to happen when you are headed down hill.

·
1,355 Posts
afternoon ride

I went out for a ride this afternoon and it is very windy here also.
Still it felt good to get out and ride.
The whole time that I was riding I had that song playing in my head.
You know the one
Snotrockets in flight,
Afternoon delight.
just saying:):

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
:thumbsup: Kites, I have allways liked Kites and still fly them at age 66 :)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, you just reminded me why I dont want to LIVE in a cold weather climate. A wonderful place to visit, but dont wanna live there.:eek:

Wild, yea he had a ball ( ok, so did I ) as he loves playing outside anyway but add the excitement of getting that kite way way way up up up in the air, and he was just one big grin. A priceless moment for sure.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Weather complaints? It's been getting hot and humid around here. I just got out of my pool from cleaning it. At 6:00 p.m. my water temp was 85 degrees F and the air temp was 89 degrees F. We're starting to get to the time of year where nighttime lows don't fall below 70 degrees F.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Weather complaints? It's been getting hot and humid around here. I just got out of my pool from cleaning it. At 6:00 p.m. my water temp was 85 degrees F and the air temp was 89 degrees F. We're starting to get to the time of year where nighttime lows don't fall below 70 degrees F.
If you open an email from me, and it's a punch in the face, nothing personal.

:D

·
Registered
625 Posts
It's still too hot and humid!

The first rule of weather club is we don't talk about weather club

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Yesterday, we had sustained 25 to 35 mph winds with gusts over 40. They actually blew the burners out on my grill last night, but that's another story. This one is related to biking.

I decided that the route I was going to do was a 62 mile out and back with the first 31 pretty much into the wind (I prefer it that way, so I have the tailwind for the way home.). I created two laps on my bike computer; one for the way out into the wind, the second for the way home. Into the wind, working my butt off tucked in the drops, I could only average 13.8 mph. Going back, however, not working all that hard, I was able to average exactly 10 mph faster with an average speed of 23.8.

This time of year for us, if we want warm weather, we're going to be dealing with a south wind. I guess as long as that wind doesn't start to swirl here in Tornado Alley, I won't complain much.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yesterday, we had sustained 25 to 35 mph winds with gusts over 40. They actually blew the burners out on my grill last night, but that's another story. This one is related to biking.

I decided that the route I was going to do was a 62 mile out and back with the first 31 pretty much into the wind (I prefer it that way, so I have the tailwind for the way home.). I created two laps on my bike computer; one for the way out into the wind, the second for the way home. Into the wind, working my butt off tucked in the drops, I could only average 13.8 mph. Going back, however, not working all that hard, I was able to average exactly 10 mph faster with an average speed of 23.8.

This time of year for us, if we want warm weather, we're going to be dealing with a south wind. I guess as long as that wind doesn't start to swirl here in Tornado Alley, I won't complain much.
And so is the dilemna today with tornado watches all over for at least most of the day if not into the night.:eek:

Since yesterday was my off day, no ride today due to weather concerns will definitely put a big dent into my weekly goal. :mad:

·
717 Posts
Headwinds are just Natures way of keeping you strong.

Had a head wind so strong that while crossing a bridge over the James River leaving Hopwell VA I not only had to dismount but actually had to hold my bike down with one hand on the seat as it was being lifted off the ground. Not ashamed to say it scared me!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The winds here are in the 40 mph range this morning. When the wind is over twice as fast as you are, it begs the question. Can the wind blow you backwards and you still stay on the bike?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts