Have you heard..

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Roadhouse, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

The bird, bird, bird, the bird is the word?

2. Roadhouse

Roadhouse New Member

i remember seeing Joey Ramone singing all the Ramones songs with D-Generation as his band at the Viper Room up in Los Angeles, the last time he ever performed.

3. Industry_Hack

My mom is buried about 100 feet behind Johnny.

[​IMG]

4. Roadhouse

Roadhouse New Member

uhm, why are you guys visiting your mom but not visiting your mom, jumping on johnny's grave, laughing and having fun in the middle of the night on top his his poor soul above all else? should i be scared now or after you reply?

5. Industry_Hack

I'll forgive you for making assumptions. When my mum was a little girl, she acted in a huge amount plays, both with school and then with local theater groups. It was her childhood dream to go to Hollywood and be a movie star. Well, she did pretty well for herself, and ended up in Playa Del Rey. When it came time to choose her final resting place, she chose Hollywood Forever, as that was where many stars of her day were buried. She is a few paces from Cecil B DeMille.

Sadly, the cemetery nearly went bankrupt at one point. To solve their financial woes, one of the things they did was start offering movie screenings during the summer, as well as big dia de los muertos celebrations.

The photo I posted is of some friends of mine goofing around after a summer screening of Valley Girl. I was not there, and my photos with Johnny's likeness are a bit more tasteful. If you have any interest in Hollywood lore and history, I suggest you click on the links in this post, or do a Google search on the cemetery. It's pretty fascinating.

6. Roadhouse

Roadhouse New Member

very cool your mum was an actress and sorry for jump to conclusions.

the closest i've ever gotten to old films was through an ex girlfriend who resided in this Forrest Ackerman's Sci-Fi Mansion guys mansion while we were in Hollywood.

i've literally had Bela Lugosi's original Dracula cape on my shoulders.

7. Industry_Hack

She was only a theater actress, never film. But she was quite successful as a business woman.

Living in SoCal, celebrities were a dime a dozen. Of the few that I ran into regularly, Tom Selleck was the only really cool one. He ate with us at my neighbor's sushi bar every week.

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Is his mustache as amazing as I think it is?

9. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I don't understand why our tax money is going via the FDA to investigating Lance Armstrong's drug use half a decade ago.

Come on.

10. Roadhouse

Roadhouse New Member

because our tax money funded at least half of US Team Postal of which the money given to them, in part, was used to fund their doping program. that's not what our federal government had in mind when they sponsored them and misuse of federal monies under any circumstance equates to being a federal crime.

and Novitzky is a former Internal Revenue Services Special Agent.

11. Industry_Hack

It is. Even more amazing was watching his daughter, who was about ten at the time, put away sushi like it was going out of style.

Dean - it's the American way. Should we pardon Billy The Kid?

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

They shouldn't have given federal monies period. My government is supposed to provide law and order, not money to bankroll bikes.

That makes me happy, all of it.

No, but we shouldn't be launching investigation into his crimes either.

13. Roadhouse

Roadhouse New Member

funny you should mention bikes. we (our federal money) certainly did not pay for them, they were provided by Trek which, btw, Team Postal (i'd have to assume under the direct authority of Johan) was selling them on e-bay, also and allegedly to finance Team Postal's doping program.

14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I meant it as a generalization, so I will explain further.

The government has no business giving money to people on bikes, to ride in the tour of anything ever. The fact that government spending and waste are nuts high, that we are going to have to do something, and the fact the US postal service still sponsors, or ever has sponsored, a team baffles me. Baffles me to the point of anger.

15. Industry_Hack

Wiki wiki wiki:

Since its reorganization into an independent organization, the USPS has become self-sufficient and has not directly received taxpayer-dollars since the early 1980s with the minor exception of subsidies for costs associated with the disabled and overseas voters. However it is currently borrowing money from the U.S. Treasury to pay its deficits. The decline of mail volume due to increased usage of e-mail has forced the postal service to look to other sources of revenue while cutting costs to maintain this financial balance.

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

So then they are taking taxpayer money.

17. Roadhouse

Roadhouse New Member

So it was marketing for USPS as it is with all sponsoring companies but I'm a bit confused now, if USPS is and has been an independent organization then I'm taking it that the borrowed money from the US Treasury or at least part of it is what they sponsored Team Postal with? If that is the link to the federal monies being investigated for use in this fraud then wouldn't there need to be a paper trail to prove that that is the case? I mean, if it's all the independent organizations own money then the US government has no right to claim that money as their own, right? I'm certain there's a link from one to the other but only after seeing your wiki wiki wiki explanation of USPS am I left wondering exactly where..?