Have you tried prescription goggles fron Zenni Optical?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by snowbird, Dec 5, 2009.

1. snowbird

snowbird New Member

Zenni Optical - Complete prescription eyeglasses from $8.00

I'm thinking of ordering some for biking. But I'm concerned that they aren't available in bi-focal and that the "windscreen" isn't polarized. Will I miss those features?
    It also seems that the tint on the windscreen isn't very dark. Or is it dark enough? I could order a tinted lense for the glasses, but I don't want to overdo it.

2. altozwei

altozwei New Member

Some of those look pretty dark in the photo. They look as dark as my sunglasses. Guess it depends upon which model you are interested in. As for bifocals, I'd have to question how much you think you would need the bifocal component while riding? Depends entirely upon the severity of your particular prescription but, in general, I shouldn't think you would need anything but single lens for riding. I carry my glasses in my bag if I'm planning to stop anywhere I might need them.

3. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

I've never used Zenni, but it looks like everything on that page uses an insert for the prescription. For that price you probably get a straight prescription, no astigmatism and no bifocals. You could just take the insert to a local optician if you wanted a special prescription. Or, you could try those stick-on bifocal lenses they sell at Walgreen's. As far as the tint, you don't want it to be terribly dark if you routinely ride through shady spots; otherwise they can leave you blind for a few seconds.

If altozwei needs to ask about the necessity of bifocals, he either isn't old enough to have a problem or he doesn't look at his speedo much! I've found that having my speedo at arm's length is no longer far enough away!

4. snowbird

snowbird New Member

I've ordered a pair of them. For less than $25 I figure I could risk it. They're due to arrive before next monday. I'll post about wheather I like them or not.

5. altozwei

altozwei New Member

Actually, I DO wear bifocals but don't need them when I ride. Guess my computer is at the proper distance for me 'cause I use it all the time with no problem.

6. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

once I go for my next eye exam, guess what I'm ordering for spring?

Brown/Amber lenses for mountain biking, oh yeah. Probably for road too, though.

7. snowbird

snowbird New Member

Zenni Optical - Complete prescription eyeglasses from $8.00

These are the glasses I ordered. They came in yesterday along with a pair of bi-focals for daily use. They are both well made and of excellent quality. As good as any glasses I've ever owned and better than most.

I didn't get a chance to wear them biking, but I did wear them kayaking. They're about the ideal tint. I paddled across the bay about a mile. The sun was pretty low in the sky and the glasses gave good relief from the sun. Not too much glare off of the water and I could still see aproaching boats in the distance.
    Back in the estuary where the water is smooth as glass, I noticed I couldn't see right to the bottom like I could with my old polarized sunglass prescription. But I don't miss it and I'd only need polarized glasses for fishing.

I like the way these glasses wrap around my face and cut out a lot of ambient light behind the glasses, which makes them much more effective because I don't get reflected glare off of the back side of the lense like I did with my flat faced sunglasses. I also like that the "windscreen" flips up. So now when I stop on the bike to go in a store for a drink I'm not stumbling around in the dark because I have sunglasses on. And I don't have to carry a separate pair of glasses. Though of course with no bi-focal I won't be able to read the price on anything.

I'd be happy with these glasses if I'd spent hundreds of dollars on them. (been there-done that). The fact that they only cost me $26+shipping makes me want to pat myself on the back 'till my arm hurts.