Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I searched the forums for headlight suggestions and I didn't find many newer posts so I am opening a new thread... (Hopefully no one minds)

I am looking for a headlight under $50. I have found many comparable ones and I was wondering if any of you could give some reviews of what you have on your bike currently.

I was looking at a few different ones but I am running into problems because some do not state the lumen output and some do.

Planet Bike Blaze 1

Giant Numen Aero+

Giant Recon Aero 1

Giant Numen HL 2.0 1w

These are all 1 watt units I believe..

Any of you have experience with any of these? Any that anyone would highly recommend within or below that price range?

Thanks in advance!

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
A lot would depend on if you want a be seen head light or a head light that will let you see. I use a cheap set head & tail light that blink but I hope thay let me be seen by drivers. I use them if it starts to rain or if it is starting to get dark I don't think thay woud do much for seeing in the dark. the ones I use are Ascent commuter light set, I think thay were about $20. I have 3 sets and I like them for what I use them for.
My ¢¢

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Here's what I've been using... about 30 bucks. As already mentioned ... its not quite bright enough if you want to see where you are going unless your in pitch black... but believe me, other cars will definitely see you in the evening or night with this, that's why I got it. Its bright as heck into on coming traffic. Has 3 lenses on it, you can set to a continuous beam or flash. I leave it on flash, it gets their attention for sure and the batteries last a long time.

ForumRunner_20120524_133213.jpg

Attachments

·
215 Posts
There's also a neat little light called the Princeton Corona. It is at the top of your budget but it will at least be twice as bright as any of the other lights mentioned. Amazon sells them for $43; see: http://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Tec-Corona-Extreme-Light/dp/B0044ZFC8W

When the time comes for you to buy a brighter main headlight, do not just discard whatever light you buy now, simply attach it to your helmet and put it on strobe to really attract attention to you. The same is true for tail lights.

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Sneakers said:
There's also a neat little light called the Princeton Corona. It is at the top of your budget but it will at least be twice as bright as any of the other lights mentioned. Amazon sells them for $43; see: http://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Tec-Corona-Extreme-Light/dp/B0044ZFC8W

When the time comes for you to buy a brighter main headlight, do not just discard whatever light you buy now, simply attach it to your helmet and put it on strobe to really attract attention to you. The same is true for tail lights.
Looks like a nice light... but a separate battery pack?

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
I use the Cateye HL EL135. It has three bright LEDs and puts out a fair beam if you don't use the flash mode. This may not be what you want if you are looking for road illumination, but you will be noticed. At under $50.00, you'll probably not find anything (except used) that will give you adequate road illumination.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fenix bike light mount and and any good tactical flashlight in the 200-500 lumen range. More useful than a bike light and generally cheaper. goinggear is your friend. I personally own a couple of 4sevens lights. The larger one with hold 300lumen for 3 hours.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah.. looking for some road illumination..

Sneakers.. The light looks great but I am not sure about the battery pack.. I was looking at a couple at my LBS and it kinda turned me off from purchasing.. Very good advise btw on the "don't discard any other lights/reflectors"!

Arch, this is an awesome idea and I like it even better because I already have a Fenix LD25!!! This might just be the answer for me! If I start using it often I can always buy rechargables for it.. I will only get about 2.5 hours at 100 or so lumen out of the LD25.. it runs on 2 AA's..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Arch.. Is the mount easy to remove? I would like a mount for my flashlight that I only put on the bike if I am going to be riding at night.. There are other options aside from the Fenix mount such as velcro type of attachments that may be easier to pull completely off the bike when not in use..

What are your thoughts on this?

·
215 Posts
Looks like a nice light... but a separate battery pack?
That's because the higher power of the light requires more juice and longer run times then a standard set of AAA's will deliver that would fit in the housing. So in order to get the brightness level and the long run times they went with a battery pack for the Extreme that holds 8 AA bats, the non Extreme model holds 3 AA's and their held internally but the run time is shorter. This light is significantly brighter then the other lights that others have mentioned and still be under your price range. And the light comes with both helmet and bar mounting systems, and it's very well made unlike most lower costing lights. This will make a great helmet light when you upgrade later to a more powerful main light.

It's just suggestion, that's all. But at least with this light you would have some ability to actually see the road, unlike the others mentioned.

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Sneakers yeah don't get me wrong, I understand needing the extra battery power for a light that bright... I just didn't know they made lights with a separate battery pack, and the thought of having to mount yet another "thing" somewhere seemed to be a bit much, but hey, whatever works! Yeah my light isn't quite bright enough to light my way but I didnt get it for that, I got it so others can see me and it does that very well, including the Cat Eye flashing tail light.

·
215 Posts
Sneakers yeah don't get me wrong, I understand needing the extra battery power for a light that bright... I just didn't know they made lights with a separate battery pack, and the thought of having to mount yet another "thing" somewhere seemed to be a bit much, but hey, whatever works! Yeah my light isn't quite bright enough to light my way but I didnt get it for that, I got it so others can see me and it does that very well, including the Cat Eye flashing tail light.
There are a lot of lights on the market with battery packs, not so much on the smaller side of lights though. But this light was intended for dual purpose, cycling as well as hiking at night or cave exploring, so it has a head strap and the battery pack fits into a pouch in the rear and light mounts to the front. Like I said, it's for longer burn times.

·
215 Posts
Blackburn has a new Flea light out called the Super Flea, it puts out 105 lumens and the battery is self contained inside the light...bonus, the light is USB rechargeable. It will run only for about 1 hour on high, 2 1/2 hours on regular, but flash mode it will run for about 3 hours. The Blackburn web site lists the price at $45, not sure if you can find it cheaper by doing a web search. That is at least as bright as the Princeton I mentioned earlier and it doesn't have the separate battery pack.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mount is easy to remove. You can get the Felix mount on eBay and well as several other types of mounts.

The best small size flash lite you can get are 4sevens models. The offer the best output/price/runtime/size. The quark mini is slightly bigger than a lip balm dispenser and will give you over 200 lumen for 2 hours. Not rechargeable but batteries aren't that bad. If you want rechargeable there are slightly larger options.

goinggear are your flash lite friends

·
215 Posts
And for those of you looking for just a bit more light and cost is no problem, there is this: http://goinggear.com/4sevens-xm18-15000-lumen-led-spotlight.html

That's a great website, thanks for sharing that with us ArchEtech. The only problem with using a flashlight for a bike head light is that the beam from a flashlight is not really optimized for bicycle use, it's just a round beam, though you could use a flashlight, most people I've run into using flashlights use two of them to spread the beam pattern out more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sneakers said:
And for those of you looking for just a bit more light and cost is no problem, there is this: http://goinggear.com/4sevens-xm18-15000-lumen-led-spotlight.html

That's a great website, thanks for sharing that with us ArchEtech. The only problem with using a flashlight for a bike head light is that the beam from a flashlight is not really optimized for bicycle use, it's just a round beam, though you could use a flashlight, most people I've run into using flashlights use two of them to spread the beam pattern out more.
Not true:

1) get a variable beam flashlight (focuses the throw vs flood)

2) Get a floody flashlight. The two I use spread as well as any bike light. As good as a $300 rechargeable bike light no. But then again who the hell wants to drop $300 on a bike light!

You could do the dual light thing, but honestly a 250-300 lumen flashlight with a floody orange peel lens will light up a bike path to about 100 feel (20-30 feet clear 100 feet can see objects and movement) and to about 10-20 feet side to side.

Any of the $100-$150 500 lumen lights would be crazy bright, but you can usually get variable brightness.

I use a quark mini xm-l and a quark turbo X xm-l

·
215 Posts
Not true:

1) get a variable beam flashlight (focuses the throw vs flood)

2) Get a floody flashlight. The two I use spread as well as any bike light. As good as a $300 rechargeable bike light no. But then again who the hell wants to drop $300 on a bike light!

You could do the dual light thing, but honestly a 250-300 lumen flashlight with a floody orange peel lens will light up a bike path to about 100 feel (20-30 feet clear 100 feet can see objects and movement) and to about 10-20 feet side to side.

Any of the $100-$150 500 lumen lights would be crazy bright, but you can usually get variable brightness.

I use a quark mini xm-l and a quark turbo X xm-l
I like the 15,000 lumen light, people would think an airplane is coming in for a landing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts