Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, long story short, I've been sort of rebuilding my old heavy-ass "campus" mongoose bmx. when trying to put the headset back together ive run into some trouble. I think i have the parts back on in the right order but when i spin the forks they sort of click as they spin...its like the spin is all jumpy....loosening the lowest nut in the pic alleviates this but makes me think i shouldnt be doing that. im pretty confused by the whole mechanism. the other thing is that even when i leave that old piece of the gyro in (even though im just running normal brakes now) the spacing doesnt seem quite right. should there be any space at all between the top of the bottom nut and the locknut? (check out the pic...) or do I have it on there wrong somehow? should the locknut be holding that bottom nut down? please help haha this is driving me nuts not being able to get it all assembled...

my other problem is these little washer type things on the rear axle. they arent like the type that are on the front that fit nicely into the dropouts. as you can hopefully see in the picture they're sort of squished down and I'm not sure if theyre supposed to be this way or not. basically i just want to know if i need to replace them (they seem kind of deformed) and if they belong between or outside the dropouts...

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think I did because I flipped them over and that made it kind of impossible to assemble...am I right in assuming that the bearings should be facing opposite directions when the headset is all together?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The bearings should be smooth side to the cup, in other words one side of them is smooth and the other looks like a bottle top where the race is bent into the bearings, it sounds to me like you have the headset jam nut too tight ot the bearings are no good. On the washers those look the they would go outside of the dropouts inside the pegs, hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts