Healthy Snacks

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by TxCyclist, Mar 18, 2010.

1. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I'm trying to lose some weight and finding myself growing tired of eating fruit as an afternoon snack.

Any suggestions?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Fruit has a lot of sugar. Switch to veggies. Also, walnuts and almonds are really good for you, in moderate quantities.

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I eat a lot of dried fruit. Figs and dates. Filling. Also raisins, and Turkish apricots. I eat very little fresh fruit. It's difficult to keep if your not going to the store every other day. You said your working away from fruit but with the exception of veggies I don't really know any other way to eat healthy.

4. Industry_Hack

You are what you eat.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

So then you're a nut?

6. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Ha! Lots of fruits and nuts on this site. :D I would do the vegies as well. Orrrrr, just burn more calories than you consume. Drink a LOT of water as well. Good luck!

7. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

I stopped using energy additives to my drinking water and started eating more dried fruit and nuts while riding. Figs, pears, apples, peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts and such. I just stuff some in one of my jersey pockets without a plastic bag or anything... makes it very easy to just reach back and grab something... no 2 handed hassles with wrappers. It is cheaper than all those expensive additives and to my mind, less chemical and more natural. I get a smooth energy boost which lasts a long time and less "raid the fridge" feeling when I get home.

8. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

...pizza, hamburgers, lard. (If I slow everybody else down, I'll feel faster!) ;)

9. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I like to take a fue Fig Newtons :love: with me on a ride, whole grain. but I have to put them in some thing or thay are a mess. The wife braught a pack home that had 2 large Fig Newtons wrapped in foil :thumbsup:, now she can't find them again.:hate:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  10. fleeter

... I hate it when I get raped in foil

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Did you alert the authorities?

12. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

You guys should be ashamed picking on a senile old man :rolleyes:

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

He did the picking, I'm just making sure he's all right.

14. fleeter

I was trying to build on common ground ;)

15. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I've been trying to do the same. I'd like to do some racing this year and be able to ride with my faster friends again.

Eat lotsa protein and eat often. Instead of 3 meals, try eating small meals every three hours or so.

Here's a typical day for me:
    7:30 am: 1 cup of fat free or low fat yogurt with a couple of scoops of whey protein mixed in and some fresh fruit and some Bear Naked granola on top.
    11:00 am: A cup of 1% cottage cheese and blueberries.
    2:00 pm: A big ass chef salad with low fat dressing.
    4:30 pm: 12 ounces of skim milk mixed with 2 scoops of whey protein.
    7:00 pm: Some pistachios or cashews.
    I generally do my workout around 7:30 or 8:00.
    Post work out: Endurox R4 recovery.
    Dinner is usually something like 8 ounces of salmon, some asparagus, and whole wheat couscous.

This might seem like a lot of food, but I've lost 15 lbs this month and dropped my body fat by around 4%. I've been doing resistance training all month, so I've actually lost more that 15 lbs of fat. Some of the weight has been replace by muscle which is heavier than fat.

16. robertgrzeda

robertgrzeda Senior biker

Some people believe that only if you eat a very fatty food (sausages, bacon and similar) you can lose your weight. There is even a name for that kind of diet in Poland: 'dieta Kwaśniewskiego'. Good luck :)

17. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Here it's called Atkins. I think by depriving your body of things you need and disproportionally compensating by eating other things we are doing more harm than good.

18. Industry_Hack

Not recommended if you have icy sidewalks.

19. Flatbroke

Flatbroke New Member

almonds are great if they are raw, once baked they are not so good for you.

20. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

That's where U and I differ fleeter!