Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's very hot and humid all across the country right now, but this mega heat and humidity needs to find a new home ! I can't remember another summer in this area that it has been this hot and humid ALL summer :hate: Cleaned my bike yesterday afternoon and was as soaked as I was when I rode in the morning...OK I'm done, sorry I'm going for a nice solo ride now:D

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
I hear ya. The heat is kicking my ass. I had a little problem the other night on a ride that I lead on Thursdays.

I was working on my Jeep and a friends car out in the sun before the ride and didn't drink any water. Before the ride, I swapped out my 18t cog for a 16t. I am out of Endurolyte powder which I usually mix with my water and I forgot to take the capsules before the ride. It was a recipe for disaster. I was trying to get a lot of stuff done during the day and didn't prepare myself for riding in the extreme heat.

About halfway through the ride I was toast. I was sweating profusely and feeling very light headed and out of breath. It sucks when you are forced to bail out of your own ride.

So you all be careful out there! Don't make the mistakes that I made.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I always seem to underestimate the humidity. I think I can handle more then I can and I end up bonked half way through a ride. I have been trying my hardest to get out as early as possible to try and avoid as much of the heat as possible, but there is just no escaping the humidity.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I'm in Utah. While we've had temps near 100 all week, we have no humidity. We cool our homes by pumping cool, wet air in. And yes, I still commute to work by motorcycle, with my heavy leather jacket on in 100 degree weather.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm in Utah. While we've had temps near 100 all week, we have no humidity. We cool our homes by pumping cool, wet air in. And yes, I still commute to work by motorcycle, with my heavy leather jacket on in 100 degree weather.
hotn'sweaty!!!
meanwhile we have 70-75° and 45% humidity, come to Belgium, lovely bike weather!!!
(did my weekly century this morning)
:cool:

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
Welcome to global warming, everyone ! (I say after dogging it on a hot sticky ride this morning).

Lookit the temperature charts, any given month/summer can be up or down, but the trend line over 50 years is pretty clear.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I just know at this time last year I was praying for it to stop raining. June was a complete wash out and we never really got a summer. I think I complain about the weather too much.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
100 to day I only got in 20 miles I have bin doing 25. I have bin going out at 6 am it is still in the 80s at that time of day :eek:

·
Two skinny J's
21,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hotn'sweaty!!!
meanwhile we have 70-75° and 45% humidity, come to Belgium, lovely bike weather!!!
(did my weekly century this morning)
:cool:
I remember those days ! 70-75 seems warm from what I can remember. I was fortunate enough to have been able to live in Leusden, Nederlands for 4 years.

·
Two skinny J's
21,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From RAGBRAI FB page:

WHO TV Channel 13 Brett McIntyre's Forecast for Sunday: The day will have a beautiful start with temperatures around 60 degrees by 8am. Mostly sunny skies will be in place all day with a high around 80. Expect less humidity as well, great riding conditions. Overnight lows in Storm Lake Sunday into Monday may dip as low as 58 degrees.

That's almost sinful and they need to share !

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Well it is 88 as of 5:30 am and you can wring the air out it is so humid :eek:
I think I will take the day off, I havent taken a day off :cool: in a wile.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's only 75 degrees 6:38 AM here but the himidty is 100% just got back from a 5 mile ride and I am soked with sweat. It's hot even when it's cool around here.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
My worst day in Australia was after Christmas - 114 degrees, probably close to 100% humidity, and raging bushfires filling the air with smoke.

Now all I need to keep cool is shorts, sandals, a nice linen shirt, and a cold beverage.

·
Two skinny J's
21,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We tied a record yesterday. 1952 was the last time it has been this hot here Norfolk had a high of 104, which was mentioned in the national news this morning, and we typically run 4-8 degrees warmer away from the water. I heard we hit 108 ambient yesterday but have seen nothing official. It doesn't feel any better today :eek:

·
Two skinny J's
21,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

1 - 20 of 22 Posts