Hello all:-)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mtndoc, Aug 4, 2009.

1. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Just signed up to this site, I'm a reformed runner, after to many years to count, too hard on the body. I ride as much as I can, 100mi/wk, usually alone, (not a lot of people up here), in the Sierra Nevada mountains, beautiful country, but the hills are painful and long. Bike is a Specialized Neon hybrid, love the bike and I need the gears to get up and down them **** hills. Avid (wife thinks rabid) cycling fan, even when I was running. I'm a Dentist by profession, so if you have questions, let me know, and no I don't make house calls;-). If you use gels for energy, I REALLY need to talk to you.

Thanks, DrB

2. bicycle_betti

bicycle_betti Guest

Welcome Doc! Good to have you here. There are some topics in the Training and Nutrition section of the forum on gels.

3. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Energy Gels

I know WAY to much about the energy gels, they have extremely high sugar content and their consistancy makes them clear the mouth slow, thereby causing serious cavity problems.....yes, I'm a dentist.

DrB

4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Glad you joined. What do you prefer for energy supplements while on the train?

5. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Energy Supplements

Dean, thanks for the question, it is a matter of what you are looking to do. On average it takes your body about 2 hours to get the energy from what you ingest to your muscles, unless... you eat sugar or guarana, two forms of speed as far as your body is concerned, and both used in energy supplements for that "boost", but then comes the "crash". I have my own professional problems with sugar, but both sugar and guarana will give you a quick boost and then you feel kinda lethargic, it is how your body responds to the chemistry. I use FRS products, not real fond of the chews(Yeah they have high sugar levels), but the rest of the products are outstanding, proven so by Princeton research, sorry don't have the link available, you can find it at the FRS website. Many of my Dental colleagues are finding rampant caries in their cycling patients that use the gels, this is very alarming as most have never had a cavity in their lives before this. Hope this helps, I didn't get into the biochemistry, that is another forum entirely.
    DrB

6. ardvark_ann

ardvark_ann Guest

Welcome! It is great to have yet another member!

7. FrostByte

FrostByte New Member

That's some interesting information about gels. I usually use them when training or running marathons. Never biking. I guess I'll have to do some googling to read about this and research some of those alternate solutions mentioned here.
    Thanks
    FB

8. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Gels

FB,

I'm not telling you not to use the gels, just want everyone to understand the potential for mouth problems. I suspect rinsing with h2o after you down one, then brush well as soon as possible will help greatly. Some people will not get cavities no matter what, but it is a crap shoot. I would look into the FRS powders, you can put it in your water bottle and it works, a little slower than the gels, but don't have the biochemical let down later. Maybe someone could come up with a flouridated gel, that might help.

DrB

9. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

Hey there, good to have another on here!

Interesting info on those gels, and I've been pretty skeptical about FRS to be honest, but I might give it a try now.

I've never used the gels, and now don't plan to, as I've already got enough cavities :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum, and we hope you stick around!

10. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Frs

Tarukai,
    go to the FRS website and check the links to the Princeton studies, it is impressive, I'm a natural skeptic, comes from College, but it impressed me, even before Lance endorsed it. He is now one of the board of directors, and that is enough to give on pause. I like the stuff and there is pretty strong clinical evidence that it does in fact truly work, check it out(I'd post the link, but I'm having difficulty getting it to post, sorry)

DrB

11. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

Alright, I'll definitely check that out right now, thanks!

12. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Frs

Tarukai, I just went to the FRS website, the study was done at Harvard, my bad, but I can't find the link. I'll keep lookin, it has been a year or 2 since I researched the stuff. There were some more recent studies done with runners, was an eye opener, can't find it again...:mad:.
    They do have a free sampler available, but be careful as it will activate an autoship order. I called and barked but FRS wasn't too helpful, they refunded some of what they shipped, but not all. In spite of this marketing snafu, I still buy and use their products. I would try the sample and see what you think for yourself.

DrB

13. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

Actually, being another one against the auto-order systems post-trial, I'm just going to go to the GNC in the plaza by my house and get a 4-pack of cans in either lemon-lime or orange, (for $7!) and I'll just give those a try. I might do all of this tomorrow, being off from work :D

Thanks again for letting me know about that.