Hello All

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by littleman624, Mar 17, 2011.

1. littleman624

littleman624 New Member

I'm 15, a freshman in high school and have been involved with cycling for about 2-3 years now. I'm somewhere between 5'3" and 5'4", weighing in at 115lbs. I purchased my first road bike in September of 2010 and have since been adjusting to that from a hybrid mounted on 24's. Cycling set aside, I participate in inter-scholastic wrestling and Boy Scouts. I would like to become involved with amateur racing in the next few years despite the lack of interest my area shows in cycling. That is, except for a sophomore, who shall remain nameless, who got me started in serious road riding and is often presenting to me challenges which only aid improvement.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

3. bradsalex

bradsalex New Member

Hey, that's awesome that you are still young and motivated to train your way into the racing career. I hope you stick to it and have success in your endeavors. It's great that you have someone that you can push yourself to keep pace with, someone who will make you better before you even realize it.

If you are wanting to get your way into racing you should look into USA Cycling, where you can register and ride in sanctioned races and earn points toward a license.

Hope that helps some.

Brad

4. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

5. flanderscycling

flanderscycling New Member

Hello from Belgium
    Wellcome!!

Keep on training!!!!

6. Garilia

Garilia New Member

Boy Scouts, eh? what rank are you? Are you in a regular troop, a Venture crew, a Sea Scout Ship, or something else?

welcome to the board

7. littleman624

littleman624 New Member

Yes sir. I'm two Eagle badges away from Life as a member of America's oldest troop: Troop 2 (formerly know as Troop 1).

8. Garilia

Garilia New Member

Excellent. Keep going. Hmmm, two Eagle badges away from Life, so you're a Star Scout now. Do you have all three Citizenship badges? I'm going to guess Personal Management is one of the ones you have left. The last few most boys seem to complete in my troop are Personal Management, Family Life, Citizenship in the World, Personal Fitness, and Communications.

Are you in OA?

9. Eagle

Eagle New Member

from one new person to the board to another Welcome.

10. littleman624

littleman624 New Member

I only have Citizenship in the Nation as of yet. I'm working on Community and Communications right now, starting Personal fitness Tuesday and will be taking that, Emergency Preparedness and Lifesaveing at summer camp in July. I still need the rest you have listed.

11. Garilia

Garilia New Member

Good for you! Community and Communications are good to do together, as they have some overlapping requirements. You realize that if you take E. Prep. and Lifesaving that only one will credit as Eagle required? The other will count as one of your electives. Do you have the Cycling merit badge? Down here, most of the boys get the Swimming merit badge.

I never made it to eagle (my troop dissolved around the time I was 2nd Class). I've been an Assistant Scoutmaster and Scoutmaster since 1999. I'm our troops Life to eagle Coordinator now. I sit on our district's Eagle boards, and have helped a couple of dozen boys achieve Eagle in my troop. It's a great accomplishment.

12. littleman624

littleman624 New Member

No, I didn't realize those two would cancel eachother out. Thank you. I had no desire to take E. Prep. anyhow. I got swimming first, so it stands as my eagle for that cluster, but took Cycling anyhow and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

My grandfather (who was also a Silver Beaver), his sons and their sons all have so I kind of have to. This reminds me that "Men are not not born into greatness, but, rather, have greatness thrust upon them." The military rank boost/ pay raise are a nice touch also.

I was inducted into OA this past summer, but haven't paid my dues this year.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011