Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I hadn't rode a bike in about 20 years. I'm wanting to start back riding for exercise but I'm confused at the different types of bikes - mountain, road and hybrid. The sales people at the area bike stores aren't any help. There's a park that I will be going to that is close to where I live that has a bike path that is paved that is hilly but has dirt trails going off into the woods. And once I get my biking stamina back up I would like to ride from my house to the park.

So what are the differences between the types of bikes and what would be good for riding in the park for a begginer?

Any help would be much appreciated.

William

·
1,200 Posts
Unless your wanting to jump off and head down the dirt trails, i would sugest looking more into the road bikes or flat bar bikes and hybrids depending on comfort and the riding style you believe you'll fall under and welcome to twospoke.com!!

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I would also suggest a hybrid bike. I cant believe your LBS wont help you with your selection. But there again if they dont want to help look else where to bring your business.
A few things you can do to make your bike shopping a little easier on you is research the shop you are visiting before going. Find out the brands they carry and search on line to see what you like and can afford before hand. Shopping mid week may also allow the sales people more time to devote to you and your questions. Tell them where you are planning on riding and a little about your fitness level and goals.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
If possible, you might want to rent a couple different types of bikes. A couple of shops around my area rent bikes by the hour.

Welcome to TwoSpoke!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
First, welcome to Two Spoke! On the bike question, looks like you have a good basis to start from. I would agree that you need to do some research on the various types of bikes and then go check out as many as you can in your local area. Definitely ride as many as you can before making your decision. It might help to know what your budget is before you get too far!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Welcome back.

Are bikes allowed on the dirt trails? Are you interested in riding the dirt trails? If so, a good entry level mountain bike (hardtail) would be my choice.

How far away is the park? If you must ride a distance and/or you are planning to ride a lot on pavement, the paved bike path for example, and you want to ride the dirt trails also, a dirt capable hybrid, like Trek DS, would be a little more road worthy (go faster on pavement with less effort) than a mountain bike.

If you plan on staying on pavement most of the time, a road bike or road oriented hybrid would be the best choice.

A cyclo-cross bike might be able to handle the dirt trails if they aren't too difficult (steep, rocky, rooty) and if you want to do longer road rides you can buy road tires and swap them out.

I guess that's no help, having suggested almost every type of bicyclee in a few sentences. Haha. It's mostly up to your preference. Road, mountain or in between? Where do you want to go? :)

I ride hybrids. On my rides, I look for dirt roads and sometimes mellow singletrack (dirt trails). Some of the rail trails (railroad lines converted to hiker/biker trails) I ride are unpaved.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Like most of the posts have said you need to decide what kind of riding you want to do before you can decide on a bike. If you're a fifty plus fred (like me) and most of your riding will be bike path and city streets you are better off with a hybrid. If you plan on doing alot of miles a road bike would be the call. If off road is your thing a mountain bike would be a good choice, Do you have any friends that are riding already? you could take a ride on what ever bike they have to get a feel for it, and see if it's right for you. just don't rush in and get a bike that isn't right for you.It might be time to find a new bike shop if the one you went to can't help. the guys at my LBS are great, when you go in` it should be like talking to a friend, these guys should be riders and thier enthusiasm should show.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
If money is an issue then you may be able to get a good MTB off of CL and put "road friendly" tires on it. After a bike fit at your LBS of course. :)

Assuming you will ride mostly on paved roads/paths.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Wfcanipe,
I believe we are all in agreement that we need additional information to best help you.

However, without it at this point, and going by what you have provided...
It sounds like an entry level hybrid or cyclocross bike would serve you well.
Like Poolie said, if you can rent a few bikes, this is an excellent way to help your decision.

As for the LBS, it could be they were having a bad or busy day. Davero is correct, midweek midmorning is an excellent time to receive one on one attention. If the LBS you visited continues to greet you with less than a big welcome to the gang.....start looking for another shop that will SERVE you and be happy to do so. When you find this, soon after you will be riding your new bike.
When that happens, be sure to post a pic of your choice on the forum.

Welcome back to cycling.
Your life is about to take a drastic positive change.....better hang on tight!:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A lot of good info from everyone. Thanks.

My price range would be around $600. It's an investment but not top of the line. I do think something along the lines of a hybrid bike would be better for me. I have found two more bike shops in the area. Between the two shops they sell Giant, GT, Electra, Mongoose, Schwinn, Torker, Trek, Santa Cruz and a few others. Neither shop will let you rent a bike but one of them will allow to ride around in their parking lot to get a feel of the bike. I do like the looks of the Giant Roam 2 on their website but hadn't gotten a chance yet to see one in person.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts