Hello - Austin/Houston

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ruel, Jan 3, 2010.

1. ruel

ruel Learning Member

Hello,

Ruel - a student at UT Austin, home in Houston. Getting into cycling again, commuter and fitness. Hoping to learn and volunteer - eventually work as a bike mechanic. (Always did love taking things apart and putting them back together.)

Ride safe

2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Hi. I liked taking things apart too thay called me the atom bom when I was young, the last thing I took apart was a 64 Dodge I got it back togeather too,the car ran 10.08 at132 in the 1/4 mile . I hope one of the grand sons races it one day. You can see it at wildcar-go.itgo.com go to the photo page if you would like to see how much I took apart.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010

3. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Welcome! Lots of fellow Texans here. What do you think of Austin riding compared to Houston riding?

4. ruel

ruel Learning Member

Can't say too much about Austin riding. Haven't had a bike that fit in many years. Snatched a Trek 7.1 on sale at the local shop at home. Been breaking it in before the new term starts.

Should be an experience going from riding on Houston trails and through suburbs to the UT campus and Austin cityscape.

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

If you BMX there is a nice park right off 9th.

6. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Welcome to the forum....

7. Deltatrike

Deltatrike New Member

Houston/Austin

Houston - Flat - Good for old man knees
    Austin - Steep - Bad for old man knees

Houston - 4th largest US city - Bad for commuting
    Austin - tiny lil' burg - better for commuting

Houston - busy, crowded, impatient drivers - redneck attitude towards cyclists
    Austin - busy, crowded, impatient drivers - redneck attitude towards cyclists

Just enjoy yourself and be careful