Hello form Indy....

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by stealthammer, Dec 27, 2009.

1. stealthammer

stealthammer Still spinnin'.....

Hey Two Spoke, it's nice to find you.

I've been riding bicycle of one sort or another since I was four years old and began building my own since there before there was bmx. At nine years old I lived in the canyons in San Diego and was lucky enough to have a neighbor that was willing to help me to modify a Schwinn stingray to work better on the trails and fireroads in the area. Later I lived in lived in Mission Viejo and I built 24" Junior Varsity to use primarily off-road in the surrounding canyons and to deliver newspapers to homes in the foothills. The newspaper routes allowed me to buy a motorcycle, that allowed me to add several more routes until the police objected to a 13 year old operating a motor vehicle on public roads.....

Year later my freinds were buying some of the early cheap (read heavy) mountain bikes while I was spreading the rear triangles of old Peugots and Motobecanes using hand cut pieces of lumber and the garage floor as an alignment table. I got an early Stumpjumper fork that I modified (since the forks were always the first part I would bend), I built my own wheels, and then I had a local bike shop braze on mounts for a cheap set of Diacompe cantilever brakes. After a couple of years I ended up getting a job as a framebuilder working for Santana Tandems and over the next eight years I built a dozen or so custom bikes at night while building production tandems by day.

For the past fifteen years I have worked as a network technician and toyed with the idea of putting together a small custom frame shop at some point, but computer pay better. I still build my own bikes but I leave the framebuilding to others, and I still ride daily (I haven't owned a car since 2002). I ride road bikes, mountain bikes, fixed gear and single-speeds, and I generally commute on a heavily-modified Fisher Opie or a Salsa Campion.

Cycling is not a pasttime for me, it is a lifestyle and a passion. My riding partner is often my Haliquinn macaw "Apache" who rides on my shoulder (we have been mountain biking all over the country) and we currently reside in a rural area outside of Indianapolis. Although I work with computers daily, I haven't really been too interested in Intenet forums or blogs until lately. I'm glad to have found this one.

2. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Glad you found us. Welcome. It sounds like you will be a nice addition here. Hope you like it and come back often to share your knowledge.

3. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Welcome. Hope you like it here as much as I do.

4. mom_of_3_ts

mom_of_3_ts Senior Member

Indy as in iana or apolis? and how did you end up here from Ca? and Welcome !!!

5. SixtyPlus

SixtyPlus New Member

Gosh, what a background in bicycling! I guess some of us on here will learn something from you!