Hello from a bike commuter in NC

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by munjoyu, Jan 15, 2010.

1. munjoyu

munjoyu Guest

Hi bicyclists,

I am Munjo Yu and a bicycle commuter. I use my bicycles just like non-bicycle commuters use their cars.
    I've been longing for such an online space as twospoke.com to get to know other bicyclists and to share stories and thoughts.I love to go out and have a ride with other bicyclists and to go on a long bicycle trip, but I find myself spending most of my riding time for commute, due to my long work hours and family duties.
    Sometimes I wonder how many problems would go away or get mitigated if 40% of American's commute on bicycles like in Denmark. To list few, I can think of global warming, US's wars, prevalent obesity, health costs, and happiness of living. I love to be part of bicyclists' efforts towards that direction.

My "high" moment of a day is when I ride through Umstead Park here in Triangle. I commute on bicycle everyday no matter what - rain or snow. Last year, I rode over 9,000 miles, that indicates that I really use my bicycles like cars ;).

I believe that Americans' number one concern about bicycle commute is safety. I try to come up with a way which would considerable improve safety. I love to discuss this with other fellow bicyclists.

Cheers,
    -Munjo

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Welcome to the forums. I'm a bike commuter too; and I agree that more people riding bikes would solve or at least lessen a lot of the problems facing our nation.

3. munjoyu

munjoyu Guest

Hi HandsomeRyan,

Thanks for your welcome.
    I see your place is Laurel, MD. About a year ago, I rode up close to your place with
    my 13 year old son back then(a 375 mile trip). Your area is more urban and I guess commuting by bike is more challenging. I remember we saw more broken glasses and nails along side of the road. Here in North Carolina, I get much less flat tires than when I lived in the Bay Area, CA.

4. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Welcome and I think you will like it hear. I just ride for fun and health, but I try to put at least 10 miles a day in, not going so good with the cold outside. I am 65 and I wish I got into biking a long time ago, I can't belive how much I like it.

5. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I would thin that bike commuting would make a person's local community stronger as well. Bike commuters simply aren't as willing to go further to spend money. They are more likely to spend their money within a certain radius of home or work.

I really envy people like you who have the ability to live car free and bike commute more.

6. munjoyu

munjoyu Guest

Hello wild,

Thanks for your welcome. There you go! "I can't belive how much I like it". Exactly same thing with me. There is no question about it. However, whenever I plan to go out and ride without an errand(a group riding), I find it's hard to squeeze out time for that. There are always chores and funs on the waiting list. I feel a little guilty. So often times I end up not going. I guess it's pretty much the same situation for other folks. Unless you have a strong mind, it's very hard to keep your regime only for the riding's sake. If you have another bird to catch with the same shot, your stone is suddenly more worth. That's the way I ride my bicycles just like cars. Most of our errands are within roughly 25 mile radius. By allocating one hour or so, I run an errand by bike. Of course, commuting by bike is the best kind. By integrating bicycle ride into mandatory part of your life, you don't have to make up your mind every morning :)
    About winter riding, someone says that what matters, is not the weather, but what you wear. With proper clothing, gloves, earplugs, and footwears, you feel coldness only in the beginning(10 minutes or so). From then on, you enjoy wintry scenes passing by. Last year when it snowed a couple of inches deep(yeah, I know, but it's much in NC), I rode through the Umstead Park early in the morning on the way work. Oh, you guys know how lovely it was. With thicker clothing and thicker air, I ride slower in winter, but I in fact prefer winter riding. In summer, sweat bothers my eyes a lot, and from time to time, I get stung by bees.
    The gal on the following rides about 10,000 miles a year in Alaska.
    Up in Alaska

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  7. munjoyu

munjoyu Guest

Hello Nigal,

You got good points. When you ride through your community, you see a lot more things you missed from your car. Moreover, when we drive a car, we close out ourselves in that iron box from other people on the road. When we ride a bike, we are entirely open to the surroundings and often times salute other riders. I am a shy person, but have befriended with some other riders on the road.