Hello from Beautiful BC

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BigAussie, Sep 3, 2020.

1. BigAussie

BigAussie New Member

Hi

I am an Australian now living in Victoria BC, a place where you can ride 12 months of the year (only has snow on the ground a few days at a time).

Cheers

John_V, rola643, MilesR and 3 others like this.
  2. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Well-Known Member

3. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

Welcome. Heard there is some awesome MTB riding there. Pst some pics from your rides over there. Beautiful area.

John_V, BigAussie and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  4. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

Welcome to the family BigAussie.

What type of riding do you do?

John_V, BigAussie and fpl1 like this.
  5. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Welcome!! We are happy to have you here.

John_V, BigAussie and fpl1 like this.
  6. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

invisible_3314-5-23-2020.jpg By the way .... this site is unlike some others in that you can post pictures without meeting some minimum participation requirement.

This site is like most others, in that if you fail to post pics of your bike or bikes within three business days of first joining, you forfeit all your bicycles. I will be by soon to collect them. If any are not in my size, please replace them with models that fit me prior to my arrival.

You should have read the fine print in all those end-user agreements.

All your bicycles will be mine!!!

or, you could post pics.

(I am not doing this out of malice. I have to uphold the rules, or where would society be?)

I post one of my own as a show of good faith.

I hope you have nice bikes. :D

John_V, fpl1, rola643 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Dos_Ruedas

8. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

Welcome. Hope you roy your stay here.

The wife and I were down under last summer. Loved it. Beautiful country but I must admit I wasn’t impressed with the outback.

BigAussie likes this.
  9. BigAussie

BigAussie New Member

Will do

John_V likes this.
  10. BigAussie

BigAussie New Member

Thanks Dos_Ruedas (and others) for the welcome.

I used to ride with a triathlon squad in the Northern Beaches of Sydney, Australia, 20+ years ago, but that was before I moved to Vancouver, BC.

There it was mainly commuting and weekend 30 mile / 50 km rides with a neighbour, often finishing at the local brewery, We couldn't have too many as the brew house was at sea level and our homes were 800'+ above up the side of the mountain.

Since moving to Victoria on Vancouver Island in 2014 it has been mainly riding the great trails around here. Galloping Goose and Lockside are both converted rail to trail routes

Unfortunately for my fitness I have found how great the motorcycling is here. I have done 6,000 miles / 10,000 kms on my BMW F800GSA since Covid-19 (mid March) without leaving the island.

Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.
  11. BigAussie

BigAussie New Member

Good try

I should adopt your tag "Old, fat, and slow" - see previous reply about spending too much time on my motorcycle.

This is my commuter / shopping cart / load with beer and drop in on friends bike - a ?2010? Cannondale Bad Boy, with Mt Baker, WA, in the background (60 miles / 100 kms away)

2020-05-10 11.16.04.jpg
    This is my road bike, a 2011 Specialized Roubaix (disk brakes not available in those days) with SRAM gearset.

Taken same spot, next day.
    2020-05-11 11.44.21.jpg
    My previous bike was a beautiful Eddy Merckx with Sachs gearset but unfortunately the bottom bracket and a lot more was wearing out, so I sold it to a collector who promised to restore it.

Cheers

BigAussie

12. BigAussie

BigAussie New Member

There is a lot of space between the exciting bits

We have had two out back adventures - 11,000 miles / 18,000 kms in 102 days in 2005 and went back and did 15,500 miles / 25,000 kms over 150 days in 2015.

We enjoyed both trips, but now want to see Canada next (was planned for May & June 2020 but Covid stopped that)

Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.
  13. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

We went with my daughter and her family for two weeks so we missed out on a lot of Australia. We were in Sydney for 4 days and really loved the city and the surrounding area. Like most American tourists, the family wanted to go to Alice Springs and to Ayers Rock. We were there for three days and the rest of the time we were in Port Douglas. We did several inland trips to some of the rain forests that were very enjoyable. We would love to go back and spend more time if it wasn't for that long flight to get there and back.

14. Dos_Ruedas

Beautiful photos. I can’t wait to see more pics of your rides.

John_V likes this.
  15. Gew

Gew New Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Damnit, isn't Australia one of the most beautiful places in the world? I think so, and I love kangoroos, too!

Dos_Ruedas likes this.
  16. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

Kind of unsure ... if Australia was so great, why did this poster leave it for British Columbia? :D

Dos_Ruedas likes this.