Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I'm 60 years old, retired surgeon, about 30 pounds overweight, haven't ridden much in about 10 years. Getting hold of a Surly Disc Trucker in a few weeks and hope to use the heck out of it and trim down.
I'm an avid photographer so this'll really extend my reach without having to pull the car over and trek out to where I want to shoot.
Hoping to pick your brains and really get the most of it this time around.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Welcome Doc! I think you'll like it around here. We love talking about bikes, and we love looking at pictures from the rides too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome Doc! I think you'll like it around here. We love talking about bikes, and we love looking at pictures from the rides too.
Thanks, Poolie - great! Sounds like what I'm after. :cool:

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts
Welcome Jazz!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Add me to the list of those welcoming you to the group! This is a fun and informative group. I, too, look forward to seeing your ride pictures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Doc, Central PA is rural? I have only watched it go by on the PA turnpike. I bike for fitness and fun. I am way overweight and biking makes it easier to burn calories.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everybody - what a warm welcome! Great! I'm a photography nut, so as we go I'll be sure to post some pics.

@jason: This area is smack dab dead center of PA: State College (Penn State University Land). It's in "Centre County", in fact. Very rural and beautiful. No relation to what you'd see off the PA Turnpike. Also a very bike friendly town with some great LBS's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do, Buffalo-jon!

I spent 10 years up in Buffalo, btw. College, med school & two years general surgery residency. Loved it up there.

Thanks for the link to the photo thread.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Hi jazz south east Pa here.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This area is smack dab dead center of PA: State College (Penn State University Land). It's in "Centre County", in fact. Very rural and beautiful.

Indeed it is, JazzDoc. An absolutely lovely part of the state. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Welcome Doc. Get a snug bag for the camera & you'll be set. A nice P&S might be more convenient than a bulky DSLR. Mine goes in the underseat bag with the phone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome Doc. Get a snug bag for the camera & you'll be set. A nice P&S might be more convenient than a bulky DSLR. Mine goes in the underseat bag with the phone.
Thanks, Andy. I'll be using a Leica M9 (well cushioned) in a Carradice Barley saddlebag. Fits beautifully.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts