Hello from New Zealand

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by craisin, Dec 9, 2009.

1. craisin

craisin New Member

Hi I am 60 years old I have reverted to cycling because of the economic situation plus I need to keep fit
    I am building a motored bike out of an old racing Raleigh it has a 28 inch front wheel and a 26 inch wheel on the back
    6 speed indexed gears and a jackshaft and a 48cc chinese 2 stroke.
    My other bike is also a Raleigh but a mountain bike 21 speed.
    I am mostly friendly but am still learning about cycling

2. KShep

KShep Zensunni Wanderer

Welcome to the forum!

New Zealand is on my short list of places to visit. I've heard it's a beautiful country with quite a variety of ecospheres.

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

So are we. ;) Welcome!

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Kia ora! What part of New Zealand are you from?

5. craisin

craisin New Member

Hack Im from West Auckland and kia ora to ypu
    Obviously you have some local knowledge
    thanks

6. Industry_Hack

I spent some time there. Got lost and circled Parnell for an hour in a Kea camper, so I can't say that Auckland was my favorite part of New Zealand. Still the nicest place I've ever visited though.

7. craisin

craisin New Member

Xela I am most parts friendly. But I dont like people who try to alter the course of my life.
    I have often wondered about cyclists that tour our country with extreme loads on their bikes, but there is are cycle ways to be constructed soon we are told

There has been tourist attacked before but I dont think our country is the worst in the world by far, you may find it relaxing and peaceful.
    So most Kiwis welcome people from overseas but there is always somebody that takes exception to strangers and questions about our history can be touchy.
    I myself am Scots, English and Maori so I have to put up with both sides of the debate about the Colonization of this country
    :thumbsup:Anyway dont be put off there are some lovely sites to see

8. craisin

craisin New Member

KShep dont quite gnow what you mean by ecopheres
    But some towns in New Zealand are overly industralized and polluted and they may be able to steer the average tourist away from these places for sure

9. klubnika

klubnika Guest

10. Industry_Hack

Kiwis are the most hospitable people I have ever met. While circling a neighborhood, looking for a pay phone, someone flagged me down and let me use their home phone, their computer, and then let me park my camper on their lawn for the night. An old farmer got his tractor out at daybreak on a Sunday morning to pull me out of the mud. The very nice girl at Goana Bar in Wellington not only made sure my dinner was perfect, but probably would have offered me a place to stay that night as well...

11. craisin

craisin New Member

Glad you enjoyed the Haka thats a war dance or challenge traditionally
    But to the dismay of some Maoris t has taken on a humorous nature nowdays

12. klubnika

klubnika Guest

Oh, don't worry, the boys did it with a scence of resposibility and serious faces.

13. craisin

craisin New Member

too true Hack there are some good Kiwi blokes :thumbsup:

14. craisin

craisin New Member

that would be quite fearsome for you :rolleyes: Im sure you had coping stratergies
    have a nice day

15. klubnika

klubnika Guest

I have nothing to compare with)))))

16. Industry_Hack

I was actually very sad when we went to the Maori "village" outside Rotorua, and realized that after our tour and hangi, the Maori that worked there probably got into their Honda Civics and drove back to their apartments. And so many Maori have adopted the American hip-hop lifestyle. It's a huge loss for a wonderful culture.

Of course, nothing could prepare me for the way Australians treat aborigines.

17. craisin

craisin New Member

we call those plastic maoris Hack good of you to notice my friend
    it that area they are the children of the mist
    Years ago young maori from Rotorua would dive off high bridges diving for pennies thrown by tourist.
    Most likely they still do it nowdays I guess the grins on the faces of the more successful diver would spur the tourist on, anyway the authorities took a dim view of the practice
    Anyway I think the trick was to be in the water waiting for the penny before the main body of diver messed the water up
    :rolleyes: Klubnika our people are most likely proud of our culture
    Its all part of kiwis are a little bit different

18. Industry_Hack

I married an Aussie and moved down under. In retrospect, I would have been much happier with a Kiwi, living in New Zealand.

19. craisin

craisin New Member

well Hack marriage means they have evidence on paper that they are in half at the divvy up
    Dont get me wrong I still like ladies I can be a critic though
    At least you have the courage to say what you feel

As we got older the ratio of men to women changes to even more women to men,dont know if thats good

the welcome from this forum has been really good

20. Industry_Hack

She got a lot less than half. :D

[edit] and I'm glad you find the forums welcoming.