Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Newbie Road Cyclist
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, newbie wanna be road biker here from Newport, TN (40 miles East of Knoxville on I-40).

Anyone around here on this forum?

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Not to far from Newport Rhode Island. Welcome aboard.

·
3,510 Posts
Hey all, newbie wanna be road biker here from Newport, TN (40 miles East of Knoxville on I-40).

Anyone around here on this forum?
Welcome aboard Brantel. I'm due north of you, but in Ohio. Let's see your ride and tell us your stories, inputs, etc.

·
Two "Slow" Spoke
3,445 Posts
Welcome Bran. Don't be shy and post often. We love to hear from new members about their riding (and non-riding) experiences and questions.

·
Newbie Road Cyclist
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. No bike yet (yes I am that new to the sport).

Look forward to participating!

Newbie road cyclist. Jan 2014 I weighed 340+lbs and lost ~135lbs that year. Picked up recreational running and have since ran 5 half marathons, 2 full marathons and countless other 5,8,10 &15k races. The pinacle of my road running was completing the 48.6 mile Dopey Challenge at Disney World in 2016. I am a slow runner but do enjoy it. Looking to add road cycling to my exercise regimen. I am also a Cardiac Athelete. In 2008 I became the proud owner of 2 stents in my heart's arteries. In December of 2015, I received another one for a total of 3. I will not let heart disease slow me down however!

·
Newbie Road Cyclist
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of riding do you plan to do ?
Road or trail ?
Sorry I hit submit before I was finished. I have updated the prior post to give you all more details about me.

Road Cycling is my plan....

·
Registered
2,449 Posts

Newbie road cyclist. Jan 2014 I weighed 340+lbs and lost ~135lbs that year. Picked up recreational running and have since ran 5 half marathons, 2 full marathons and countless other 5,8,10 &15k races. The pinacle of my road running was completing the 48.6 mile Dopey Challenge at Disney World in 2016. I am a slow runner but do enjoy it. Looking to add road cycling to my exercise regimen. I am also a Cardiac Athelete. In 2008 I became the proud owner of 2 stents in my heart's arteries. In December of 2015, I received another one for a total of 3. I will not let heart disease slow me down however!
Props to changing and turning your life around !
Not easy to do.
I was a chunk monkey little kid and have struggled to not get lumpy.
Cycling has saved me !
I have not weighed myself since I was 15. But I feel happy and healthy and am at this moment ok with my body.
Best wishes on good health. Thanks for sharing.

Keep at it ! You are inspiring.

·
3,510 Posts

Wow, great inspiration for a lot of folks out there who aren't active! I'm sure the good Dr's advice is being heeded, in your activities. I also feel, that you "know yourself" in instances such as stints. There are quite a few folks in here willing to lead you into a good bike! They will all say, along with me...don't buy a cheap "Walmart type" bike! Check out all the brands out there within your wallet comfort zone. Many bike shops have a year same as cash program. Myself, I bought a Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra, just last year....and LOVE IT. I'll leave the rest for others to give bike advice other than road, or off road?
I'm an endurance road cyclist in my opinion. My love is distances and bikepacking. After you purchase your bike start out slow and build up...enjoy after that!

·
Newbie Road Cyclist
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I just put a deposit down on this bike:

The specs look great for a newbie and I like the looks of the bike. Getting a Shimano 105 groupset was important to me as the more I read about road cycling, the more I assume that is the gold standard in this class of bike.

I plan to use these pedals:

Looking forward to getting the bike and getting out on the road!

·
3,510 Posts
^^^Man! You don't mess around! Nice! Lots of hills to conquer with this beast! Have fun! As I always say "keep the rubber on the road, and your butt in the seat! "

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,465 Posts
Welcome! I look forward to reading about your adventures on the new bike!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forum. I stumbled upon it today goggle searching why I have seen so many road cyclist today in the Newport tn area. I've road bicycles most of my life nothing serious in my younger years just hanging out with friends riding bikes. I stop riding for a few years, you know family kids ect you know life in general . Well Dr diagnosed me with anxiety about 5 years ago and advised that I take meds, well I refused to be medicated. I thought there's has to be an alternative. There sure was I got back on my bike and its now under control. I started out mountain bike riding and wow ! Fell in love with it. So sometimes my schedule doesn't allow me to drive to MTB locations, so I picked up a 80,s Peugeot rode bike rebuilt it and I'm able to ride local. I've read some of you guys post about big box store bikes, definitely stay away from them. Buy a quality bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts