Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening All,

Just discovered the site, enjoying reading the many varied threads. Been riding regularly for the last 9 months on my trusty 15 year old Raleigh Pioneer Trail. Use it for commuting 28 miles 3 times a week and weekend rides. It is a nice ride for a hybrid given its age, it carried me the entire length of the C&O canal last month in 3 days.
Just bit the bullet and ordered a road bike, want to ride something lighter and quicker every now and then, though the commuting will be the Raleigh's mainstay.

Hoping to learn from our fellow riders.

Simon

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After much thought and a lot of research I opted for a Windsor Fens 2011 from bikesdirect.com. It seems to offer the best bang for the buck and the reviews I found all seemed favorable. I did consider a Scattante R570 from Performance bike but it was $250 more expensive and only offered comparable components. I guess time will tell if I made a wise choice.

Simon

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Franconia-Springfield next stop! Welcome Simon!

·
Registered
625 Posts
cool, remember to post pics of the Fens. I guess when riding it, you'll be a Fens sitter!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome, where do you plan on riding in NoVa?

I typically ride around the Springfield Burke area, in particular, the FFX County parkway and 123 corridors. I commute three times weekly from West Springfield to Fair Lakes (Fairfax) 28 mile round trip. On my Raleigh hybrid I ride on some of the crushed gravel trails of Burke Lake and similar but i much prefer the pave roads, thus getting the road biks.

Simon

·
Registered
415 Posts
Welcome from South East Va... Glad to see another Raleigh rider...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome from South East Va... Glad to see another Raleigh rider...
Thanks for the welcome. Not sure how many of us Raleigh riders are out there. Did almost replace mine last year for a new Trek but decided to upgrade the trusty Raleigh instead. It was close though but I've had the bike for 15 years from when I lived in England and ridden it on 3 continents. To much sentimental value. Even though getting a road bike will continue to ride the Raleigh regularly.

Simon

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
Nice, my wife is familiar with that area since she grew up around there. I've been to the Springfield Burke area several times and Fairfax more times than I can count. Was just up there a couple of weeks ago and brought my bike but I came down with a sinus cold and wasn't able to get out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Windsor Fens arrived this morning courtsey of UPS. Only managed to carry on working for an hour before breaking down and opening the box and starting assembly. Took a couple of hours in total what with fine tuning the adjustments. So much lighter and more responsive than my hybrid Raleigh.
The only thing I have changed from stock is the saddle, I really like the WTB Speed V Comp I have on my Raleigh so a quick trip to Performance was taken and new saddle procured. $25 can't be beat.

Only got a couple of miles in tonight during testing but it's big day will to tomorrows commute on Bike to Work Day.

Any ways here are a couple of pictures of the Fens and the Raleigh Pioneer Trail.

The Raleigh in Touring Mode, start of day 2 of the C&O Canal

The Raleigh in commuting mode.

Simon

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the looks of the Fens -- and wow, nice price they have on those at BikesDirect for a mostly 105-equipped bike!
Certainly couldn't beat the price at bikesdirect.com. Certainly plenty of bang for the buck.

Rode the Fens in earnest today, for the 28 mile round trip commute to work. Stopped off at the Bike to Work Day pit stop in Fairfax Corner. It was good to see so many bikes out.
My worry, for commuting on the Fens, was realised on the way home, a puncture from debris picked up on the shoulder. Oh well, will just have to pick a longer, less dbris ridden route home.

Simon

·
Registered
98 Posts
Glad to have you onboard. Where do ou normally ride? I tend to ride mostly in southern Fairfax county.
Thanks, and I'm stoked. I usually ride in Prince William, Arlington, MD, or Haines Point. I'm open to learn and ride anywhere though.:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts