Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started mountain biking back in '94. I raced in Michigan on the MMBA circuit for a couple years (I miss Pando and Cannonsburg). Pickney State Park – Potawatomi is still my favorite trail, even though I now reside in central Ohio. I spent a few years as a service manager for a local bike shop here in Columbus.

Current bikes include ’09 Specialized FSR Expert, and Lemond Titanium (early 90’s model but still rides like new), wife has an Specialized Epic and Gunner.

When I am not riding, I work on developing iPhone apps and web sites. Indoor Interval Cycling and the lite version were the first iOS apps I released.

·
Two skinny J's
21,453 Posts
Welcome kmb, sounds like you stay busy!

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,569 Posts
I started mountain biking back in '94. I raced in Michigan on the MMBA circuit for a couple years (I miss Pando and Cannonsburg). Pickney State Park – Potawatomi is still my favorite trail, even though I now reside in central Ohio. I spent a few years as a service manager for a local bike shop here in Columbus.

Current bikes include ’09 Specialized FSR Expert, and Lemond Titanium (early 90’s model but still rides like new), wife has an Specialized Epic and Gunner.

When I am not riding, I work on developing iPhone apps and web sites. Indoor Interval Cycling and the lite version were the first iOS apps I released.
I have a buddy up in Lavonia and we've hiked the Waterloo-Pinkney trail a few times. I've always wanted to go back up with my bike and do the Potawatomi. I did Pike Lake over by you a few years ago as part of an adventure race. It was raining and the trail was horrible. We have a few really nice trails over this way near Dayton that are worth a day trip to do. John Bryan is longer/less technical and MOMBA is shorter/more technical. Both great rides.

http://www.metroparks.org/Parks/Huffman/MoMBA.aspx
http://www.metroparks.org/Parks/PublicationFolder/Huffman_BikeTrails.pdf

http://joinomba.org/trails/index.php/John_Bryan_Trail

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to go to John Bryan. He loves the trail. Will have to check it out

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,569 Posts
The whole area is great. If you like to camp you can spend a whole weekend biking the trails, hiking the gorge and spending some time in Yellow Springs which is an awesome little hippy town. The bike trails are about 13 miles, not too advanced but FAST. Well worth the 1 hour drive over.

·
1,200 Posts
welcome from your southern state neighbore :) lived in Mason while i went to school in Cincy for a whopping 8 months lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The whole area is great. If you like to camp you can spend a whole weekend biking the trails, hiking the gorge and spending some time in Yellow Springs which is an awesome little hippy town. The bike trails are about 13 miles, not too advanced but FAST. Well worth the 1 hour drive over.
Looks like i will heading there in a couple months once my side projects slow down. How quickly does the trail dry? Alum creek phase 2 dries pretty fast (for central Ohio) but phase 1 takes a while.

About Poto (Pickney State Park - Potawatomi trail), this is by far my all time favorite trail. I took my wife (still just dating at the time) there a few years back. She was not happy with me for the first couple of miles. Water bars, gravel getting into the trail. After that it turns into the perfect trail. Sandy soil so it dries fast. Rolling hills, some tight turns and long sweeping turns, long climbs, fast descents, a little bit of everything. By the time we hit the "Outlook" she stated "You can bring me back here any time you want!"

I haven't been there in a few years, but highly recommend! Unless they did some work on the entrance of the trail, the first mile or so is not the best, once you are past that the trail is awesome. If you go wait till getting into the trail before passing judgement.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,569 Posts
Looks like i will heading there in a couple months once my side projects slow down. How quickly does the trail dry? Alum creek phase 2 dries pretty fast (for central Ohio) but phase 1 takes a while.

About Poto (Pickney State Park - Potawatomi trail), this is by far my all time favorite trail. I took my wife (still just dating at the time) there a few years back. She was not happy with me for the first couple of miles. Water bars, gravel getting into the trail. After that it turns into the perfect trail. Sandy soil so it dries fast. Rolling hills, some tight turns and long sweeping turns, long climbs, fast descents, a little bit of everything. By the time we hit the "Outlook" she stated "You can bring me back here any time you want!"

I haven't been there in a few years, but highly recommend! Unless they did some work on the entrance of the trail, the first mile or so is not the best, once you are past that the trail is awesome. If you go wait till getting into the trail before passing judgement.
The trail dries pretty fast as it is a well established and maintained trail. They used to close it when wet but this year they are using the honor system and depending on riders to use their best judgement.

Here's the OMBA boards for more Buckeye goodness: http://www.joinomba.org/phpBB3/index.php

There is also the paved bike path network that is connected to over 300 miles of bikepath so bring a roadie as well if ya wanna check that out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts