Hello from SoCal!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by aweesan, Jul 23, 2009.

1. aweesan

aweesan New Member

Hi, I'm Alison. I've been riding MTB seriously for about year and am hooked. So hooked I became seriously involved in the San Diego Mountain Biking Association (The Home of San Diego Mountain Biking Association - Home) and IMBA for advocacy and to promote biking in general.

I started off with a Giant Trance X0 then graduated to a Santa Cruz Nomad because I found I loved riding the superchunk, though I am getting used to the slightly additional weight....

I have a joplin seatpost, Hope stem, fox talus 36, race face crank set, Shimano XT, Juicy 5- about to upgrade.... and looking to fund a new wheel set to shave off more weight.

Anyway, I'll be posting a LOT on events coming up, as I work closely in conjunction with Stone Brewing Co., New Belgium, and our local bike shops, and am now trying to jump start the social committee by creating ways to get riders riding and meeting other knuckleheads like ourselves :)

Thanks for the invite and looking forward to riding with you soon!

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Nice bikes! I was looking at building up a Nomad, but ended up getting a complete Rocky Mtn Slayer instead for not much more than a Nomad frame goes for. I've been thinking about swapping out my Marz 55R for a 36 Talas RC2. That's a sweet fork!

How do you like the Joplin? I just put one on my Rocky.

3. aweesan

aweesan New Member

The joplin has treated me well. I really like that it doesn't just shoot up like the Gravity Dropper, though I'd have less to worry about than guys would ^.^ What I'm not a fan of, is the tendency to want to pick up the bike by the seat and the joplin gets forced up and you later have to bleed air out of it when it's not as responsive. My boyfriend just switched to a Gravity Dropper because it has more clearance (5" I think where the joplin has 3-4) and he'd had such crappy customer service-- the CSR's he talked to were reading from a script and he's not some JRA ("just riding along"/unaware rider) that can't work on his bike, but they wouldn't listen to anything he told them after already sending it back to them for additional work. Some people have had issues with where the seat clamps; others like Jason have had issues with the hydraulics-- which leaked all over his crank set badly-- but lucky for me, I've not had a bad experience yet. Only the air in the line issue which, could cause more harm. It does add a little weight but it's so much more worth it than to stop, adjust, THEN catch up to people. :)

I can't say enough good things about the fork. Heck, Fox just donated one for the raffle bike we built up with Beyond Bikes... OMG... SWEET doesn't show you the half of it! (crap, I thought I had a better photo: http://www.beyondbikes.com/BB/ItemDesc.asp?IC=SDMBA-RaffleTic )

4. aweesan

aweesan New Member

I like the joplin; it's been good to me so far. Some people, like my bf Jason, hadn't been so lucky. My complaint would be that air has a way of getting into the system because we/I have a tendency to lift the bike up by the seat and it draws air in and you have to pump it later to release the air when it's not acting responsively. Some people have had issues with the clamp for your seat while others, like my Jason, have had issues with the hydraulic fluid barfing all over the crank after going down the seat tube. He's not a JRA ("Just riding along"/unaware rider) and knows how to wrench a bike. He'd already sent it back to the factory and the customer service people who read from a script were so unhelpful that he just returned it to REI for a credit back since they were unwilling to listen.

Sure it adds a little weight but to me it's worth it that I don't have to stop, raise the seat, then pedal harder to catch the group again. One of the benefits too of the joplin is that it doesn't SHOOT UP really hard and fast (not good for the guys....) whereas the joplin has an easy adjustment like an office chair. The joplin has less clearance than some of the newer similar seat posts-- like the gravity dropper. I think you can get at least 5" travel for the chunky stuff where you only get 3-4 with the joplin.

5. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I guess I'll have to be careful not to pick up my Rocky by the saddle which I do often. So far, it hasn't been a problem.

That El Guapo is hot! I might have to get me a raffle ticket.:)

6. aweesan

aweesan New Member

I wish I could enter that raffle too.... I've picked up that El Guapo and I can tell you with the set up, it feels lighter than my nomad!!! (I want my 80 yr old mom to get tickets which I'll pay her for....) :p

The raffle goes to October 24th where they'll be drawing for it at Beyond's Biketoberfest so you can keep getting your golden tickets until then! Also, if you become a member of SDMBA through them, you can get a free raffle ticket as well.($25 for a year membership + a free raffle ticket, and the money goes towards trail advocacy in SD County, trailwork and tools, events that get riders together, etc.. Soon to have more member benies in the form of prodeals and such from factories like Crank Bros, Fox, Shimano to name a few)
    -- and you don't have to be present to win!