Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of right now I don't own a bike, but am looking to buy one soon. I rode a lot in high school and college, but that was back in the 70's. I'm now 50 and have not been on a bike in over 20 years.

I spent 24 of the last 30 years flying around the world in the Air Force (C-130 guy) and now retired. My main hobby is Photography (you think bikes cost a lot) and love it.

Mark

http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f86/back-saddle-soon-5764/

·
Two skinny J's
21,512 Posts
Welcome Wales! More A.F. here I was A.G.E and my wife retired from Command and Control and she is a contractor working for START now.

Hurry up and get a bike. The Peninsula Bicycling Association does some nice rides for all paces when you get ready.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Hey, photography is cheap today. Back in the nineties, when people still cared about image quality, I bought a Mamiya RB67 with some extra backs and four lenses. Ouch.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,622 Posts
welcome, to the forum
i would love to hear about your traveling experience while in the military.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome... Hope to stick around and learn a lot more..

Hey, photography is cheap today. Back in the nineties, when people still cared about image quality, I bought a Mamiya RB67 with some extra backs and four lenses. Ouch.
Mamiya anything cost a lot and the new medium format digitals from them are crazy priced.

check out this 56 MP camera from them
322-256 Mamiya 322-156 DM56/DF Digital Camera Kit with 645 AFD III Camera Body, DM56 Digital Back, Li-ion Battery and Charger, FW800 Cable and Camera Strap

I'll stick with my Canon 5D & 7D and my L lenses

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
That digital Mamiya is definitely pricey. A friend of mine that does commercial work had ordered a digital studio camera years ago, and it set him back $30k, which was about a month's wages at the time. But with processing costs running at least $5k per month, it was a good investment. I just hate what digital has done to the industry. People no longer want to hire a skilled pro, since their uncle has a really cool $300 camera...

Even worse, I paid a wedding photographer way too much for mediocre photos, and at 29 years old, he had never shot film. Moral of the story - don't hire a photographer under 50. ;)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
welcome, to the forum
i would love to hear about your traveling experience while in the military.
I have partied in 34 countries and loved it..

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,622 Posts
I have partied in 34 countries and loved it..
that is quite a few... which ones did you like the most?
i have been to most of Europe but that and a couple US states is it... want to know where i should visit.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All over europe, central and south america, far east, south pacific and lived in Germany for 3 years.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Welcome to the board MWales. I am 50 also, and have returned to the bike recently. Right now I ride a 29er hardtail MTB, and am pondering a road bike purchase.

I live in South Florida, I have lived in Brooklyn, NY, Gainesville, FL, and in Durham, NC. I have never been out of the USA, although I have made it to 27 states including Hawaii and Alaska.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for a nice welcome...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I'll chime in w/ a welcome as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts