Helmet shaming

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by rola643, Feb 28, 2018.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Well this is an...Interesting quick read
    https://www.outsideonline.com/2285286/enough-helmet-shaming-already

Do you get angry when you see someone cycling without a helmet? Do you leave indignant comments under Internet photos of bareheaded cyclists? Do you want to grab these wildly irresponsible riders by the shoulders and shake them out of their utter disregard for their well-being?

If you answered “yes” to any of the above, then you need help.

Don’t worry, I’m here for you. The first step toward getting help is admitting you have a problem, and the problem that you suffer from is called Victim-Blamer Syndrome (VBS). This affliction blocks the compassion receptors in the brain and causes symptoms such as excoriating sexual-assault victims for dressing too provocatively or violent-crime victims for being in the “wrong” neighborhood or bicycle-crash victims for not wearing foam hats when they get run over by truck drivers.

Read the rest in the link above.

qmsdc15, lectrichead and John_V like this.
  2. rushlake

rushlake Member

I just think why aren’t they wearing a helmet. And it’s their decision just like any other healthcare decision or life choice. But when I see their kids not wearing helmets either, it worries me a little but I would never say anything.

John_V likes this.

3. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

I slap the parents

Dos_Ruedas, DaFlake, fpl1 and 2 others like this.
  4. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

I randomly slap people regardless of if or not they are helmet clad. Basically the main difference is it is probably safer to be in helmet if I randomly slap you.
    This is a good read and it sheds a light on how we react and why.

5. rushlake

rushlake Member

If I may take the liberty of replying for i12ride.
    Ahem “ Doesn’t matter to me go ahead don’t wear helmet just takes the idiots out of the gene pool”

6. rushlake

rushlake Member

^ Just a friendly bit of fun.

rynoman03 and cwtch like this.
  7. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

If you fear getting hurt riding a bike, ride a couch ... If you think you can live others' lives better than they could, imagine how much better you could live you own life if you didn't waste your energy on people you wish would be removed from the gene pool for not wearing the right kind of hat.

fpl1, rynoman03 and cwtch like this.
  8. RidesAlot

RidesAlot Well-Known Member

Just.. no.

cwtch likes this.
  9. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

.......My name is Jeff and I approve of that message but I was just gonna go with.......my head is very hard and has actually damaged concrete when falling while skateboarding without a helmet but cycling is serious biddness so I always wear one, even when just riding in woods in the "soft stuff" like dirt, mud, roots, grass. You never know when you might get blindsided by a moose, bear, deer, motorcycle, horse, tree, hog or antelope. PROTECT YOUR MELON! Nobody else is gonna do it for you. A hatrack is a terrible thing to waste...............

10. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

How about i don't tell you what to do and you don't tell me what to do? That seems like it might help.

John_V, newleaf150 and cwtch like this.
  11. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

I wasn't. It was a public service announcement. It addressed no one in particular. And kids don't get to make choices about how their parent's money gets spent. Until they are 18 and/or pay their own med premiums and such it's not their decision to make.

John_V likes this.
  12. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

I crash on the somewhat reg. No way I am riding my mtb without a helmet. As for others, I don't actually much care if they wear helmets or chamois or anything for that matter. If it gets your jollies going go ride bare arsed for all I care.
    I don't wear armour besides on DH I wear knee pads. But I see others wear it and think that probably has a good place and is wise.
    I push limits of what I and my bike can do and frankly a helmet is wise for me.

Kids are tricky. The number one serious injury on a bike is head trauma. So it seems wise to put your kid in a helmet. However I bet there are far more kids hurt from head trauma in car crashes and I don't see people driving with helmets or putting there kids in helmets in the car. But seatbelts are the law and I don't think it should be a law but I would always tell parents to strongly consider a helmet for their kiddos. Just seems an easy thing to do to prevent a life altering injury. Bikes are safe in my opinion but a helmet is an easy precaution.

SLTom992, John_V and MilesR like this.
  13. rushlake

rushlake Member

I think you need to read the post above this. ^
    Geez I’m glad I didn’t use the organ donor joke

cwtch likes this.
  14. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

Do no helmet wearers donate pianos or just organs ?
    I know bad joke I am more cuddly than funny

rushlake, Dos_Ruedas, fpl1 and 4 others like this.
  15. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi Tavern Member

I think you have a great sense of humor, so you must be extra cuddly! :D

John_V, rola643 and cwtch like this.
  16. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

It's my fluffiness, adds to cuddability.

cuddability: the ability of ones being to be cuddled and enjoyed while cuddled by others.
    Ones cuddability is in direct ratio but not limited to their fluffiness, good humour, kindness and willingness to be embraced and cuddled. It should be of note that proper hygiene and pleasantness of scent affect cuddability. A cuddle monster should never be left alone with a person of high cuddability, it can turn quickly into a situation of such abounding cuteness as to cause an outsiders gag reflex to engage.
    * Explained with serious tone and straight face; as this is not a matter to be discussed light-heartedly.

rushlake, Dos_Ruedas, fpl1 and 5 others like this.
  17. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

I wear one one every ride regardless of what others do.

Florida used to have a motorcycle helmet law. The two people that spearheaded the "no helmet law" movement was a husband and wife that belonged to a large motorcycle club in North Florida. They finally got enough signatures to get it on an amendment and it passed. We no longer have a helmet law. Ironically, two months after the law took effect, both died from massive head trauma in a motorcycle crash.

After working on an ALS unit for 20+ years, I've seen more than my share of head injuries, most of them with sh1tty outcomes. Will a helmet keep you from dying in a serious crash with a motor wehicle? Probably not! But if you survive, it could be the one thing that determines a partial to full mental recovery to drooling all over yourself for the rest of your life. Still, as an adult, the choice is yours.

rushlake, flan48, Dos_Ruedas and 5 others like this.
  18. SLTom992

SLTom992 New Member

http://www.vehicularcyclist.com/kunich.html

John_V likes this.
  19. SLTom992

SLTom992 New Member

I just checked the latest available figures which were for 2017 and there has been an even sharper difference between rates of bicyclist deaths and pedestrian deaths. Though I wear a helmet I can detect no safety effects from using them. In fact they appear to give riders a false sense of increased safety.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    cwtch and John_V like this.
  20. Dragonfly5

Dragonfly5 Member

Well said John. I've worked in the ER for 20 years and have seen many catastrophic head injuries. Like you, I never ride without a helmet but I would also never say anything to a stranger about not wearing one. I figure people will do as they will. I choose to protect my melon.