Helmet

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by garydodovich, Aug 17, 2014.

1. garydodovich

garydodovich New Member

I just started riding fixed and have been hit by a car in my first week. What's a good looking helmet that's not to fancy?

2. Ericlkelly

Ericlkelly New Member

The modular helmets are extremely popular with the ADV and sport-touring crowds. At the base level, all modular helmets have a chin bar that can be flipped up. At the next level, helmets like the Shark Evoline 3 ST completely flip up and around to the back of the head for full-on aerodynamic open-face riding. Others, like the Scorpion EXO-900 and the Nolan N44, can be reconfigured from a full-face helmet to a comfortable open-face helmet in a matter of seconds with removable parts. Both of these helmets have removable visors and chin bars and can be configured multiple ways. It's important to consider the level of versatility you desire when buying a modular helmet, as the chin bar systems, face shields, and occasional sun visors vary from helmet to helmet. If you are finding a best writing support then you can just click this weblink for more details.

3. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

Good looking and fancy are in the eyes of the beholder. I'd just do "bike helmet" image search on google, or look stop into your LBS.

4. John_V

John_V Well-Known Member Tavern Member

^ This!

All helmets sold in the US have to meet a minimum specification for head protection. That means that a $25.00 helmet purchased at WalMart will protect your head just as much as a $250.00 helmet purchased at your LBS. The two major differences is weight and cooling. The more expensive the helmet, the lighter it is and the more it ventilates (or so it's said). I live in Florida and have a $55.00 Giro Rift that is not heavy (for it's price range) and does an excellent job of cooling during our summers. It's the one I'm wearing in my avatar.

5. TruElvis

TruElvis Two "Slow" Spoke Tavern Member

^ Judging from this post, I wouldn't pay you (or the site you are spamming for) to write any paper above a first-grade level. :rolleyes:

6. bmohan55

bmohan55 Senior Member

I found that what is important to me in a helmet is a continuous sweat band across the front. It will keep the eyes clear of that nasty burning sweat! I once had a helmet that the sweat bands were two piece in front and it did a poor job of directing the sweat away form my eyes.

7. DnvrFox

DnvrFox Still learning . . . Tavern Member

According to the website, I can have a one-page "professional" dissertation written in 3 hours for $56.

Having written a doctoral dissertation, I sure wasted a lot of money - like thousands of dollars!!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  8. Retmuter

Retmuter Member

John V is correct about helmets to a point. Will an el cheapo protect your head? Yes. Will it be comfortable and fit? Therein lies the question. Because without a good fit, any helmet is worthless. If it isn't comfortable and you don't use it?
    Even more worthless. Bell has been in the helmet bidness forever. Guess who carries Bell helmets? I'll let you google.
    That said, I don't buy helmets and shoes on teh interwebz. Has to fit.

9. nancyfields

nancyfields New Member

Safety should be the top priority in bike riding with all those cars on the roads. Unfortunately, statistics show that there is a huge amount of bikes-cars incidents. I ride carefully, but you can never know what may happen. It’s not always your fault, car drivers often break the rules which can result in accidents including injuries and even death. The statistics are very pessimistic. However, you can still keep yourself safe to some point by wearing a helmet. Helmets reduce the risk of head and brain injuries in the event of a crash, thus, I always wear a helmet. Gonex Wind Cross is a good one to try http://bestadviser.net/mountain-bikes/top-mountain-bikes-helmets-and-clothing-review/ They are not that expensive and seem to be of a good quality and not too fancy looking.

10. breakingaway89

breakingaway89 New Member

In my opinion, go to the nearest shop and choose from there. You'll get a lot options. Buy, which suits you best.

11. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

I always wear a helmet when I go writing. Ruufs could fall. I wonder if Shakespeare ever wore helmet when he went writing?

12. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

A good looking helmet is one that you are confident in wearing, hoping that you don't find out, and if that day does occur, you can say that it was GREAT helmet.

13. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

Best looking helmets in my opinion are POC ones. But fit and comfort matter most.
    Good luck finding one that fits your needs and glad you will be wearing one.

14. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]if coin is no issue these are sexy

15. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

New poll...........Do you spend more on something to protect your melon or something that makes your @55 happy?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  16. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member