Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a Major step towards the good today and bought the first Bike Helmet I have ever owned or even worn ( Been riding bikes since I was 8 and am am 28 ). I bought a Schwinn helmet from Walmart to get started as a Friend is taking me out to a trail he knows of in the Wichita Mountains this week and we'd prefer I not crash and break one of the rocks ( damaging a wildlife refuge is a crime lol )
What I'd like to know is your preference for helmets and if theres any brand I might need to stay away from. The one I have is only to get started and I know eventually I would need a better one and just want to know what I need to look for in one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Helmets are sort of a hot topic considering a lot of us don't even use them. I understand not wanting to mess nature up. Did you wipe out on the trail?

·
Drink plenty of water!!!
328 Posts
Welcome to the exclusive club of smart people! The subject has drawn a lot of attention here and one would assume that everyone would be in favor of helmets but surprisingly a lot of people are not convinced of the need. We even have a full feathered MD who calls them bicycle hats!
Anyway there is a huge price difference between cheap ones and expensive ones but the materials and construction are all about the same (more or less). The higher priced ones just seem to be slightly lighter and a more fitting features. I opted for the GIRO Atmos which at the time was one of the highest priced helmets on the market. I happen to be wearing it in my avatar photo to the left. It has a couple little strips of carbonfiber glued in here and there. Anyway it fit me well and that's important.
Of course a helmet must be endorsed by whatever government approved testing agency.
I hope you never need to find out how well it works!

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I'm back and forth on it. I wear it now more than ever, but that's just to minimalize whatever damage I receive. After I got hit I got more religious about it then less. Like I said I wear it in phases.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have a Giro, you just need to try them on and see what fits you the best. Protect your brain, it's the only one you have. To me it is a no brainer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info The one I picked up was the one that fit best at the store. Figured that was a plus lol . Didn't crash yet goin on the trail tommorrow and Didn't want to take a chance. Another question I have is the straps is there any that have a different strap than just under the chin. I have an odd thing bout things around my neck and the strap just under my chin bugs me but I endured it cause I know I need it

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Bike helmets are a good thing. I can't say as I always wear one, but I do on road rides and mtn bike rides. Running to the store, bar, or to get sushi, usually not.

I have had my noggin saved on numerous occasions by my brain bucket. Just last summer I crashed really hard on my head on a DH run at Winter Park. I'm sure that without a helmet, I would have gotten a concussion or worse.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Thanks for the info The one I picked up was the one that fit best at the store. Figured that was a plus lol . Didn't crash yet goin on the trail tommorrow and Didn't want to take a chance. Another question I have is the straps is there any that have a different strap than just under the chin. I have an odd thing bout things around my neck and the strap just under my chin bugs me but I endured it cause I know I need it
My wife is the same way. I don't know, I can tell you I've looked and haven't found anything but then that there might be a million dollar idea.

·
The Bearded Wonder
561 Posts
I wear a helmet... but that's just so I have an excuse not to do my hair in the morning before I head out to work... just lazy that's all.

·
The Bearded Wonder
561 Posts
bic the head and leave the beard... I like it! I think my wife might leave me though... she thinks I'm crazy enough already

·
Drink plenty of water!!!
328 Posts
Most (all?) quality helmets have an adjustable connection where the chinstarp joins to the rearstrap. By adjusting this connection you can get the "chin" strap and the buckle to land further back on your neck. It is important that the chinstrap buckles fairly closely although not tightly on your neck. Don't bike with it buckled loosely for "comfort sake". In the case of a sudden stop, i.e. you run into something, your helmet can fly off in a microsecound leaving you unprotected and not very comfortable.
A note to parents about kids helmets; I see a lot of kids biking with a helmet that are too small or improperly adjusted so they sit on the back of the head, almost useless. The front of a child helmet should stick out far enough from the face as to give protection to the forehead, nose and mouth (unless your brother-in-law is an orthedontist!) in the case of a forward fall. Quite rare that you land on the back of your head in a bike crash.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Thanks chh55. My daughter has a helmet that I thought fitted her now that I'm looking at it it doesn't cover enough of her face. She also thinks we are about to go riding.

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
When does a helmet wear out?

(Not counting if you fall and "use" it, in which case get a new one)

One LBS salesperson told me helmets degrade over time and need to be replaced. To test, knock on the foam inside, it should still sound hollow. Anyone know any more about this?

·
Bent Newbie - old rider
144 Posts
Three to five years is what I understand to be helmet useful life. Part of it has to do with time in the sun (UV) and general time worn, and part with the deterioration of the materials themselves over time.

·
Bike New England
12 Posts
A Helmet saved my life 15 years ago and I would walk rather than ride without one. All helmets sold in the U.S. must be approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). I agree, the Giro Atmos is a great looking well ventilated helmet if you can fork up $175. Bell owns Giro, and makes the same quality helmets for half the price. There are other less know but very affordable helmets on the market, such as the Potenza Pantheon and the Eleven81 Open Road You can view a very diverse selection at Massachusetts Rail Trails| bike paths| MA bike lanes .

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used to work with head injured folks. A woman from Amstersdam fell off her bike and hit her head. We had to teach her to read, write, and talk, and her long term memory was toast....

The helmets technology is incredible today. Light and much more breathable than years ago. You can get a decent one at REI for forty dollars. Cheap enough and your knoggin is protected.

Lisa

1 - 18 of 18 Posts