! Help 1 inch steer tube, THREADLESS?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by indiabiker, Aug 23, 2010.

1. indiabiker

indiabiker New Member

So Im having a problem, I have a 1 inch steer tube threaded, but I want a 1 inch threadless stem. Can I put a threadless stem on a threaded steer tube? If not where can I purchase a ridgid fork with v-break bosses 1 inch threadless for under 60 bucks, dont say ebay I check there all the time! Help!

2. froze

froze Banned

Yes it can be done, I'm not an expert at this but I'll give you as much as I can and if I miss something someone else should be able to pick up the pieces.

first thing is use a die out of a tap and die set. But make sure you use the right die for the threads so your locking nut and other pieces fit. The cut will be 24 threads per inch for the ISO standard. But this is assuming the steerer has adequate thickness for threading. Thus if I was faced doing this I would want an LBS would do it!!! But the cost of this could run $200 but the peace of mind is priceless. Personally I would just leave it threaded. Not sure where you can find a rigid fork with V bosses but I'll check.

3. froze

froze Banned

For the fork try Simpson at: Rigid Forks Simpson Cycles You will have to do a currency exchange rate to find out cost of the pound to dollar.

4. indiabiker

indiabiker New Member

thanks!

thanks that was very helpful

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Helpful? Those are two of the least-helpful posts I've seen in a while. You asked about a 1" threadless fork, and got some half-baked instructions about threading a threadless fork, then a link to a company in the UK to buy a fork. Between shipping and the exchange rate, that would probably cost twice what it would cost in the US. Our prices will always be cheaper, due to our giant consumer base, and lower import tariffs.

I found a Dimension fork in 26" and 700C, for $42-60. Which size do you need?

6. froze

froze Banned

Industry Hack do you have a problem with me? I've never attacked you yet your following me around doing that with me. That web site you gave does not have one Dimension fork that is a 1" threaded fork with V bosses for under $60. I went to the first site that I found that had exactly the fork he was looking for, is it available in America, I don't know I didn't have time to do an extensive search to find out, but it gave him a place if he can't find it anywhere else or if someone else can't find it for him here.

So I guess your post was the least helpful one here.

7. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I didn't provide a link to any websites, and you haven't read the original post. He's not looking for a threaded fork. Yet you seem to insist that he is. If the OP wants to use his 1" threadless stem, he'll need a 1" threadless fork.

8. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

I think the simplest solution is to get an adapter. Adapters look like this and you can get one from your LBS.

[​IMG]