Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had an expensive (to me anyway) bike stolen. This bike was gifted to me in 2001 and was well above anything I was willing to spend. I am told by my insurance company that in order to recoup the full value of the bike I have to buy a new bike equal to or greater than the value of the bike that was stolen.

To make a long story short, I have approximately $1,100 to spend on a new hybrid bike. First, I am a relative newbie and ride casually. The bike will be ridden approximately 80-90% of the time on pavement. However, I would really like to be able to take the bike off road. I imagine any offroading will be dirt trails and nothing very extreme.

There are a few bikes that I have looked into and I would love to get some opinions from the forum here. I think the main question I have is how important a front suspension would be given my use case for the bike. Any help is really appreciated.

Here are a couple of the bikes I have been looking at. Opinion on these models as well as other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I am unsure whether the front suspension is something that I will need or want. Thanks again.

http://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/products/221836006/bike-sportster-55-men-s/

http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes/recreation-urban/recreation/quick-cx/2012-quick-cx-2-21057

http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes/recreation-urban/urban/bad-boy/2012-bad-boy-5-20118

http://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/products/221957022/bike-metrix-20-men-m54/

I'm sure there are dozens of other choices and I am still looking through other websites.

Thanks again guys and gals.

jake

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I'm more interested in the wording of your policy. They should either pay fair market value of your 11 year old bike, or replace it with the current version of that model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Industry, that is basically how the policy works. They will pay me the full value of the fair market value of a similar bike today. The bike was origianlly 950. The same model now sells for 1079. So, technically, they have agreed to pay me the 1079 - depreciation. Since the bike is from 2001 there was quite a bit of depreciation (somewhere around $400). So I should be receiving a check in the next few days for 1079-~400. In order for me to recoup depreciation I have to purchase a new bike within 6 months. So, if I want to get the full 1079 I need to buy a new bike worth at least 1079. I have checked the policy and this is in fact how it works. Hence my post. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Ok. Odd, but we'll get past that.

As a Cannondale owner, I would suggest you avoid them. Not a fan of the proprietary technology hanging off the front of the frame. Great performance comes at a price, and repairs/maintenance are just too costly to justify their front suspension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Odd, but we'll get past that.

As a Cannondale owner, I would suggest you avoid them. Not a fan of the proprietary technology hanging off the front of the frame. Great performance comes at a price, and repairs/maintenance are just too costly to justify their front suspension.
Ok. Thats very helpful. How about something like the Cannondale Badboy 5? This bike has a single arm fixed fork? Stay away? Are you suggesting to stay completely away from Cannondale all together?

Also, how about my more general question of whether a front suspension or fixed fork bike would be best for me. Like I said, i will be riding on pavement ~90% of the time but I would like to occasionally take it off road and be at least semi-comfortable riding on smooth off-road terrain.

Thanks again.

·
1,084 Posts
Also, how about my more general question of whether a front suspension or fixed fork bike would be best for me. Like I said, i will be riding on pavement ~90% of the time but I would like to occasionally take it off road and be at least semi-comfortable riding on smooth off-road terrain.

Thanks again.

Not sure about your area, but around me, even pavement is less than smooth. Suspended front fork makes for a less painful pair of arms after a decent ride, though I find I sometimes stop and use my fork's lockout function prior to climbing a large hill

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Yeah, the Cannondale is a good looking bike, but you're locked into those stock rims with the Lefty fork. A different wheelset is simply not feasible.

Cyclocross riders race on dirt roads with carbon forks. Anything but a straight fork should be comfy enough. Remember, mountain bikes didn't always have suspension. Personally, I would prefer the simplicity of a rigid fork over a lower end suspension fork.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I LOVE my '12 Specialized Cirrus Comp! It's more of a road setup, but I've done a bit of singletrack on it and the only drawback was the relatively narrow tires in soft stuff. Easily remedied if i want to do more. It retails for $1050, but I bought it for $950. Ive had no problems with it. The 2013 stuff is coming out now too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts