Help! Advice on getting into cycling.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by chocolatediet, Feb 15, 2010.

1. chocolatediet

chocolatediet New Member

I'm new to cycling & would like any advice on getting into the sport. FYI, I'm a 44 yr. old woman, mother of 5, riding a cheap Giant Mnt. Bike. I'm on week 2 of a training schedule I found online, few offered. I did 35 m. last week while my goal was only 27 m., according to the schedule. My intention is to log 500 m. on my crap bike & the buy a new Trek road bike. I just want to be sure I'm committed before I drop any more money into it. So far I've bought a water cage, bottle, computer/odometer & bike-mounted pump & had to buy 1 new tube. I'm hoping to buy the Trek by September.

2. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Welcome. Sounds like you are on the right track. Getting a floor pump to keep your tires topped off will be a lot easier than using the frame pump.

Was there anything specific you needed help with because you sound like you are already well underway?

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Get yourself a good base of several hundred miles, then work on intensity and intervals. It really doesn't matter what bike you use.

4. chocolatediet

chocolatediet New Member

Thanks for the input. I already owned a floor pump. Thursday I am attending a bike maintenance class--I hope the info soaks in. I dread having a breakdown miles from home & having to hoof it back. I did that recently but just a mile away--thus the frame pump.

I am specifically considering carrying a concealed gun and wonder if anyone here has any comments on that issue. I am not a gun person and the idea sickens me. However, riding alone in remote areas, i.e. the 35 m. River Mountains trail which is out in the desert & loops past Lake Mead, scares me a bit. There are coyotes. There is no one to call to for help. But where to strap that pistol so I can reach it w/o dismounting, unzipping & fumbling around is the question.

Also, do you have any suggestions on how to infiltrate a cycling club as a novice? I don't group-ride on Sundays & that always seems to be the novice ride day. I am so green, simply taking one look at me is laughable. How fast do I need to be & how nice a bike do I need to ride with the experienced? Could I even attempt a group ride on a mountain bike when they're all on road bikes?

I'm considering putting road tires on my mountain bike.

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

You don't need a gun. You need an air horn, and some mace or pepper spray. Coyotes are pretty cowardly, and not likely to attack humans. They won't even take down a dog unless they outnumber it by a good margin. If you don't feel safe where you ride, then ride someplace else. I don't recall what Nevada's carry laws are, but if you're not prepared to use lethal force against someone, you might as well just hand the gun over to them. Your weapon will be used against you.