Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

vintage 70's special road racer 10-speed

how big of wheels and tires could i put on this, im a pretty big dude (6" 300) and how much would that be, round about?

or...

how much should i sell it for outright? i know i can get a little bit of $$$ for it

thanks a lot for the helps everyone!

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
$20 at best. It's the lowest end of the Fuji line, it has chrome steel for handlebars, stems, seatpost, and it appears the rims too but the pic is bad to be sure, steel cottered cranks, they used straight gauge tensil steel, the whole bike probably wieghed close to 35 pounds if not more. Buying tires alone would cost more then the bike is worth, but Nashbar still has a decent selection of 27" tires.

Edit: You might find someone who is willing to pay more if their into that kind of thing, personally I wouldn't want one if I found one for free due to the investment required to get it road worthy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm guessing a '74 or so, most likely not a '75 or later judging by it's livery. Last in the line up of three that year (not including the Track), this was model that put Fuji on the map in the U.S. Don't mistake it's place in the line up for lack of quality.

Value? .. the Nitto High Crown stem is worth way more than $20 alone. If you're into Fuji's this is the best place to start. I'd clean it, new tires, cables, brake pads and ride the heck out of it.

Catalog weight says 29 pounds, mine weighs 28 with a rack ..

Scott

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
According to Sheldon Brown, Fuji had nothing really collectible, and top dollar for excellent condition models could fetch $350. E-bay had one nice one called the HI-C, a rare promo Fuji for HI-C drinks for $129 with 22 hours left on the bid and not one bid has been placed...yet.

I did locate a catalog web site and the closest match I could find was a 74 S10-s as Scott Ryder probably saw; the S10-S had the chrome stays and fork halves. What threw me off was the cheap seat, the crank ring gears have been replaced with lower quality, what appears to be rust on the seat post? which if is it's not the original post. The weight Scott gave was based on their smallest 21" frame by the way.

The bike in the picture is missing almost everything. Most important is the bosses for the downtube shifters appear to be broken? maybe it's just the picture. The derailleurs, both front and rear appear to be completely gone.

Now to make this bike be worth some money would be to hunt down on E-bay all the original era components by duplicating the catalogued parts, problem is that by the time you spend money to do that you would have invested more then it's worth, and that's why I said $20 at most and why I wouldn't buy it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
According to Sheldon Brown, Fuji had nothing really collectible, and top dollar for excellent condition models could fetch $350. E-bay had one nice one called the HI-C, a rare promo Fuji for HI-C drinks for $129 with 22 hours left on the bid and not one bid has been placed...yet.

I did locate a catalog web site and the closest match I could find was a 74 S10-s as Scott Ryder probably saw; the S10-S had the chrome stays and fork halves. What threw me off was the cheap seat, the crank ring gears have been replaced with lower quality, what appears to be rust on the seat post? which if is it's not the original post. The weight Scott gave was based on their smallest 21" frame by the way.

The bike in the picture is missing almost everything. Most important is the bosses for the downtube shifters appear to be broken? maybe it's just the picture. The derailleurs, both front and rear appear to be completely gone.

Now to make this bike be worth some money would be to hunt down on E-bay all the original era components by duplicating the catalogued parts, problem is that by the time you spend money to do that you would have invested more then it's worth, and that's why I said $20 at most and why I wouldn't buy it.
Froze ... keep in mind a few things when appraising Fuji's. The article you quote from Sheldon Brown was written in 1997. Since then, Fuji's have become quite sought after for their consistent frame and ride quality.

The Special Road Racer and the S10-S are the same bicycle in those years. Fuji stopped the Special Road Racer designation in 1975. It never had shifter braze-ons, so the OP's Fuji isn't missing them.

Luckily, all the parts to rebuild the SRR are available cheaply and abundantly on eBay or the parts bin of a local bike co-op.

The weight I gave you for mine is 23" frame with the stock alloy rims.

FujiFuji, if you drop me a pm I'll send you some stuff from my parts bin to help you rebuild. Visit my blog at Vintage Fuji Archive - Home for some images of my Fuji's as well as friends, plus some history.

Scott

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
It never had shifter braze-ons, so the OP's Fuji isn't missing them.

FujiFuji, if you drop me a pm I'll send you some stuff from my parts bin to help you rebuild. Visit my blog at Vintage Fuji Archive - Home for some images of my Fuji's as well as friends, plus some history.

Scott
In then pics, it looks like there are two brazeons for shifter mounts on the down tube, you'll notice, what appears to be a hole where the brazeon was on the side closest to the camera, and on the other side where the other on is something jagged sticking up. Can't tell from the photo if those are the braze-ons and/or if their broken or what the heck those marks are.

By the way your offer to help a fellow cyclist with Fuji parts was a wonderful gesture...rare today. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
In then pics, it looks like there are two brazeons for shifter mounts on the down tube, you'll notice, what appears to be a hole where the brazeon was on the side closest to the camera, and on the other side where the other on is something jagged sticking up. Can't tell from the photo if those are the braze-ons and/or if their broken or what the heck those marks are.
That's a pump peg.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
That's a pump peg.
It appears as if the "pump peg" is on the side of the down tube, not on the seat tube or top tube where I've ever seen them. And what's the round hole appearing thing across the tube from the "peg"? Maybe Fuji did it differently then what I remember seeing. The pegs were placed on the seat tube and the water bottle bosses on the down tube, or the the peg was on the top tube to make room for an additional water bottle bosses on the seat tube. And if the pump peg is on the down tube then where was the shifter bosses, or lack of the bosses where did the clamps go and leave room for the shifters since the pump would be running right down the top of the down tube.

And the other odd thing, why are the shifters down at the bottom of the down tube near the bottom bracket? Don't tell me they use to shift that far down because I know that isn't right.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here's a few photos of the positioning of the clamp on shifter lever and pump position:

On the Op's Fuji the shifter levers have been loosened and slipped down the down tube. You're right, there's no way the can be shifted from that position.

Scott

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Thanks for the photo; odd that after 35+ years of riding I don't recall ever seeing a bike pump on the down tube like that!!!! Was this unique to Fuji do you know? You having rode a bike with the pump there, was it cumbersome to shift with the pump there, or just something you got use to?

·
1,355 Posts

vintage 70's special road racer 10-speed

how big of wheels and tires could i put on this, im a pretty big dude (6" 300) and how much would that be, round about?

or...

how much should i sell it for outright? i know i can get a little bit of $$$ for it

thanks a lot for the helps everyone!
I bought this dudes fuji. Can't wait to ride it. Got one just like it back in 74 and loved it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts