help for beginners

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by deewrek99, May 5, 2010.

1. deewrek99

deewrek99 New Member

hello every body, i have considered uni cycling as a hobby for some time (like 2 or 3 months) and was looking for ways to start. i have looked on the forums and it mostly states to just start ridding. but i still have a few questions:

a) what to buy?
    i am 5'11; while searching for a unicycle ive come across 18", 20" and 24" i am not sure what it means, like what they refer to, or what would be proper for me.

b) what brand to buy?
    it would be nice if i could find a good brand that wont break the bank.

any help would be much appreciated!
    thanks

2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Does your local bike shop have unis?

3. deewrek99

deewrek99 New Member

my bike shop, the one i always go to for all of my bicycle needs does not carry them, but to be honest i have not checked any other local bike shop.

4. yangus

yangus New Member

If you need help deciding what size to get I'd say go for the 24".
    I'm about 5'6" and I have both (one of them on loan)and I prefer the 24" since it goes much faster. the 20" turns much sharper though.
    If you'll be going from point A to point B alot, you should get a 24" or larger.
    2*Pi*r is the formula for a circle, as you know. If you plug 20" in you get abit over 5feet per rotation, with 24" diameter wheels you'll get bout 6and a half feet.

I'd imagine you'll have no trouble with a 24", in fact I think it might be easier for you with a 24".

As for what brand I think you should get, I have no idea. mine 20" a Toker uni-star, but I'm not good enough to abuse it. the 24" is unlabeled and really old, in fact it's somewhat rusty, but it works great. You shouldn't worry about brand until your good enough to be riding it off tall objects. Durability isn't a problem.(I think)