Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm a glutin for punishment, I know that I am opening up the door for all kinds of comments however I posted a terrible picture of this bike so I will try again. I have found the serial number on the bike 69501. I do not know if that is of any help, I will post more photos that should be more detailed. The bike has been repainted, all components are Shimano 600. I would like to know mainly because it will be helpful for me to decide what I will do with the bike. (restore, trash, recycle, etc) Any help would really be appreciated , also thanks to those who were able to identify the batman bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks B-Krazy I have several vintage bikes now and I love them, I am kind of looking at this as a project that might be fun to play around with, I just do not want to put too much money into a cheaper bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have stripped the bike and hoping more photos could help identify the bike

I have stripped all the yellow paint off the bike and found a couple of things that I hope will help someone help me idetify the bike. I found on the bare frame Renolds 501, I also found some numbers on the back of the seat tube looks like it says NN4137161 the last number could be I . I also have taken a few more pics. At this point this bike is going to get restored even if its a 1982 Free Spirit but I would really like to know what it actually is, also thanks for all the help everyone has given me.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One last thing I forgot to post which might be the most important thing, the seat tube and down tube go from round to oval, I am reading that Raleigh had something called aero space contour in the 80's, not sure if others did. I really appreciate all the help I've got from everyone. If anyone has any other info so I can put this to rest I would really appreciate it. Industry_Hack I appreciate you working with a new guy on here asking unrealistic questions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info

I appreciate the info on the 1974 Raleigh. I did see how the numbers line up. The only thing that throws me off is the strange shape seat tube with the round to oval and back to round shape. I will look more into that bike. Thanks Tom

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Trek favored Reynolds 501 in the 80's.
Almost all their mid high end bikes use various 531 grades or Ishwata on their lower to mid level bikes and Columbus on their highest level. Only a very few of their bikes, most the 500 series used 501 and that wasn't until 83 and then they stopped using Ishwata and went with Tange on their lowest end bikes. But only the 500 series for about 3 years used 501 and that represented about 3 bikes out of the 14 or so they carried. If you look at the history of Trek site you'll see what frame material they used, they used mostly 531 followed by Ishiwata 022, then Tange and 501 were only on a very few bikes.

I had a 76 Trek TX900 but that was Columbus which was use on their highest end bikes, a 81 Trek 412 that used Ishiwata 022, and a 84 Trek 660 with 531cs. I liked the 531cs better then the Columbus which felt noodly to me. I also like the Ishiwata but it wasn't a racing designed bike but rather a sport bike...though I did race on it. The TX900 is today worth the most but I sold in 77 to buy a better car...something about women not really understanding a crappy car and a nice bike.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
It appears in the photo that the fork is bent back just a tad at the head tube...it could be an illusion of the way the photo was taken.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It appears in the photo that the fork is bent back just a tad at the head tube...it could be an illusion of the way the photo was taken.
Good point, there Froze . Could be a camera thing, but it does look like the fork's bent .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts