Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Been looking up info on this bike and found bits and pieces. Would really like to know who the maker is and when it was made.

I searched the forum for stickies/announcements, etc...but didn't find any info about "identifying threads" so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong section or anything. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. Even if you know of a better forum, perhaps Canadian forum, that could help me.

I couldn't find info on "Telycycle" but I did find info about Toronto Telegram, which used to be an old newspaper company in Toronto. I assume they must have made their own badge for this bike? Says "Carrier" and "Salesman" on it.

I know a serial number would be most useful but couldn't find it and currently have the bike stored somewhere else. I will post it when I get it.

Tires have "Norco" logos on it but have plenty of tread so I'm not sure if they were replaced?

The silver thing on the rear tire says "Perry England" and the seat says "Emet".

That's all the info I have at the moment. Any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It says "Perry/England" on the brake arm. Couldn't find any other markings but will examine it again when I get a chance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, had a chance to look over the bike again and take some more pics.

Found a number that says "X 2673". The "made in..." sticker was torn off with the most important part, lol...but perhaps someone can recognize the style of the sticker?

The seat says "Lemet - made in Holland" and the tires are 28 x 1&1/2.

The rear hub says Perry - England.

·
Registered
15 Posts
28 x 1 1/2 was a common canadian size im going to agree with finkerbell i think this is a ccm do a google image search there are a lot of simillar looking ccms, also a ccm with a serial number starting with an x would make it a 1935

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. You're right, it looks similar to most ccms. Do you know of any other companies that used Xxxxx w/their serial number or is it strictly ccm?

So it looks like we almost nailed it (if no other company used X to begin their serial number). A CCM bike produced in 1935 and rebadge and possibly given as a prize by the Toronto Telegram.

I found this that seems pretty close:

Loop-Frame Love: Introducing Nicki and her loop-frame... and a little Canadian bicycle history

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
One thing to watch out for though is tire sizes. I know it doesn't make any sense, but my local wrench tipped me off to something. A tire that say 1 1/2 on the tire is NOT the same size tire as 1.5 They are known as fractional tires and can create a great deal of frustration. IIRC the 1.5 tire will NOT go on a wheel that was made for 1 1/2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One thing to watch out for though is tire sizes. I know it doesn't make any sense, but my local wrench tipped me off to something. A tire that say 1 1/2 on the tire is NOT the same size tire as 1.5 They are known as fractional tires and can create a great deal of frustration. IIRC the 1.5 tire will NOT go on a wheel that was made for 1 1/2
Funny you mention that. The tire was flat and the tube was coming out while pumping air into it so I had to remove the wheel and sure enough, the tube said 28 x 1.5 and it was definitely not the same size as 28x 1 1/2. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts