Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bike hunt continues but I think I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes. The 2013 Giant TCR Composite 2 and Defy Composite 2. Both cost the same price.

The guy at my LBS said the TCR was a race bike, and probably won't be as comfortable for longer rides as the Defy. TCR is all Shimano 105 and the Defy SRAM Apex.

I am not familiar with SRAMs road groupset but have heard Apex is lighter than 105, but 105 shifts better and smoother.

If the both bikes fit me perfectly, which groupset would you recommend?

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Man get what makes you happy,if the 105 shifts smoother than jump on it!

·
889 Posts
Apex is lighter than 105 and performance is equal. I have Apex and my roadie and have no complaints.

If memory serves me, the TCR is more of a race geometry whereas the Defy is a little more endurance geared.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Apples to apples.

The weight savings you are looking at, honestly, unless you're a flyweight with massive power output and you're going up a hill for a yellow or pink jersey, it's irrelevant.

The biggest difference you're going to see is the shifting mechanism; double tap or dual paddle.

Don't want to sound crass, but many, many people get hung up on weight. Drop 2 lbs in body fat and you'll more than make up for any weight "penalty" in your drivetrain as well as have a better engine.

I'd try both and see what makes you happy. I was torn between my Synapse and a Secteur, the Synapse had 105 and the Secteur had Apex. I absolutely did not like the SRAM set up at all, just didn't find the double tap method intuitive for me. That being said, there are others (Rola?) that love SRAM.

Try both, and pick what makes you happy. At this point in the game (IMHO) the weight savings you're looking at is so minute as it shouldn't impact your decision.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
Apples to apples.

The weight savings you are looking at, honestly, unless you're a flyweight with massive power output and you're going up a hill for a yellow or pink jersey, it's irrelevant.

The biggest difference you're going to see is the shifting mechanism; double tap or dual paddle.

Don't want to sound crass, but many, many people get hung up on weight. Drop 2 lbs in body fat and you'll more than make up for any weight "penalty" in your drivetrain as well as have a better engine.

I'd try both and see what makes you happy. I was torn between my Synapse and a Secteur, the Synapse had 105 and the Secteur had Apex. I absolutely did not like the SRAM set up at all, just didn't find the double tap method intuitive for me. That being said, there are others (Rola?) that love SRAM.

Try both, and pick what makes you happy. At this point in the game (IMHO) the weight savings you're looking at is so minute as it shouldn't impact your decision.
^^^ What he said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I switched over from Shimano to SRAM about 3 years ago. It took a bit of getting used to but I really love the double tap now and find Shimano more awkward. It's really about what you are used to.

Like Rola said, get what makes you happy!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm quite familiar with Shimano, not so much with Sram. I always say, if you're not racing then 105 is the sweet spot for drivetrains.

·
Registered
2 Posts
kneedrachen said:
Apples to apples.

I love the 2 lbs comment cause its so true.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts