Help me decide,should I buy a Trek 4300 for $200!?

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by woogyboogy, Apr 1, 2010.

1. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

I'm getting more and more into the sport of mountain biking, and right now I have a Mongoose XR-75...yes I know its a horrible Walmart brand, Thats why I am thinking about upgrading to the Trek 4300. I found it on Craigslist today for $250 and I made an offer for $200, which is amazing from the prices I've seen, and he accepted. This is what the ad says "Trek mountain bike 19" frame good for - 5'10"-6'. Its in good shape, I really don't need it any more." Now I do see that it says its probably best for someone 5'10-6', but I am only 5'8, I figure I could move the seat down and I should be fine. Another thing I'm somewhat concerned about is the fact that is it hard tail. I just want to see what you guys think about this deal and if I should go buy it? Thanks!

Here the pictures he took of the 4300:
    http://images.craigslist.org/3k23pe3le5V55T55W3a3v48b2168ec2e31ce5.jpg
    http://images.craigslist.org/3k73o23p05Z25U05X6a3v1df3e11eebef187a.jpg
    http://images.craigslist.org/3nc3kb3mf5O55Z15P5a3v28fd3d210aee14b7.jpg

2. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Go get it. ANYTHING would be a step up!

3. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

the only thing is, is that he said the tires are street tires, not mountain bike tires, but in the pictures it looks like there is tread there, what do you guys think???

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Are you just trail riding, or do you get into any technical stuff? I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam, and ride a 19" Cannondale. I've got just enough clearance for my friends, but my margin of error is small. You can lower the seat, but you can't raise your ballz. Also, make sure that the cockpit (I see a theme developing) isn't too long for you. You don't want to be in a position where reaching for the bars is uncomfortable. A shorter stem is no substitute for good fit.

Other than that, the bike looks ok.

5. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

I'd say mostly trail riding, and some jumping (but nothing serious). Its a 45 minute drive to go get the bike, so i don't want to get there and not get it...Also, do you think I can use those tires on trails, or would that be a bad idea?But do you think 200$ for this is a good deal?

6. Industry_Hack

Better to drive 45 miles and not buy a bike that doesn't fit, than drive 45 miles and buy a bike that doesn't fit just because you made the drive. It's not a good deal if it doesn't fit you.

The tires shown look ok, but I don't know what your trails are like.

7. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

That was very well said.

8. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

But I figure if i do end up buying it and not liking it down the road, i could sell it on ebay for at least 350$ and make profit...so its a win win situation.

9. Industry_Hack

There's no assurance you can sell it for more than you paid for it. Unless that's some totally smokin' deal, you're better off waiting for the right size.

10. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

This is true, I don't think I'm going to buy it now, thanks to your input, i do not want to be stranded with a bike that is not meant for me.

11. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

DUDE!!! Who cares about tires? Buy the thing, it's an awesome bike and for that price, who cares if you never even ride the thing. The price is so good it doesn't even matter if you use it hahahhahahaha :D:thumbsup:

12. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

Do you think this bike could handle small to medium sized jumps (nothing bigger then 5-6 feet) Also, if you had to guess how heavy would you say it is?

13. Industry_Hack

I would say it could handle no jumps. Trek describes it as a beginner's MTB. It is not really meant for anything more technical than dirt trails.

Have you ever tried to pry off a hubcap with a jeweler's screwdriver?

14. Brent

Brent Shore Rat

At 5'8" tall that 19" frame will have to high of a standover for you and the top tube will be to long

15. Sickmont

Sickmont Member

I have 2 4300's and i jump them both, albeit not very high. Maybe, MAYBE 3 to 3 and a half feet at the most. As for weight, i'd venture to say they're both about 30-32 pounds each.

And they are a lot stronger than you'd think.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  16. Industry_Hack

Another user with Funetical for their avatar...