Help me find a bike rack

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by jacksmom97, Aug 22, 2010.

1. jacksmom97

jacksmom97 jacksmom97

I recently bought a Specialized Ariel hybrid for me...love it and my son has a Specialized MTB and I am trying to find a decent rack for my car (Nissan Maxima)...bought a Saris Bones 2 today...thinking about returning it...after 2 hours of installing and trying to fit both bikes on, my son and I were both frustrated. Should I return it for the Bones 3...and use bungee cords to secure the bikes so they won't rum on the bumper? I thought the idea of a bike rack was to keep the bikes AWAY from the car....thanks for any suggestions:)

2. awinter

awinter No longer a newb!

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Did you buy it from a bike shop? They should at least show you the basics. I like the Hollywood racks for their simplicity. They're similar to the bones, but easier to use.

4. jacksmom97

jacksmom97 jacksmom97

thanks for the info on bike racks

I did buy it from a LBS...I did some research on the Hollywood racks and yea, they seem easier...I was wondering about how heavy they are since I will be the one putting it on and taking it off and I am lightweight...there are a few shops here who sell the line so I will go by this week and check them out before I settle on the Bones 3...the Bones 2 does not hold 2 bikes...but the Bones 3 does, according to the reviews. Thanks again!

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I don't think any of those racks weigh as much as the bikes do.

6. jacksmom97

jacksmom97 jacksmom97

Oh that is funny! Never thought about it in those terms...

7. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Also, of the two LBSs around here that I'm most familiar with, both offer to install and show you the ropes regarding whatever rack you buy from them. If you should decide to switch to a roof rack, I'd definitely make sure you get someone that knows what they're doing to mount it or help you mount it.

8. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Was crusin the LBS yestr and looked at the Saris Bones 2/3. YIKES..do those bring back memories. Outta hast, few years back I bought the wife a Thule trunk rack. I feel your thoughts bout it being a pain. With all those straps used for securing the dang thing. What a bucket-of-worms! Then of coarse, even after mounting your bikes, ya have to secure them so not to swing and sway in the breeze. Marring up the vehicle or the bikes themselves. Well, long story short, I finally said this is BS. Bought a Thule (platform) hitch rack. Man-O-Man, IMHO- this is the only way to go. The thing just pops on/off the vehicle in seconds. And...mounting the bikes is a no-brainer. The best part is the whole thing folds up when not in use.
    I've never looked back. Only drawback...ya gotta have a receiver. Probly wouldn't look too good in your case, but, who cares about that vs. the convenience. You can put a receiver on anything.

Attached Files:

• hh.jpg
      hh.jpg
      File size:
      12.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  9. jacksmom97

jacksmom97 jacksmom97

So how much do you think it would cost to put a receiver hitch on my car? I don't care what it looks like...I am all about the convenience, and it sounds like the hitch would be all that.

10. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Sorry, I couldn't even begin to tell ya how much. Depends greatly on the frame of your car. How much extra welding/bracing (if necessary) is needed for a bumper-less car. Bout the best I could do is suggest to go to a hitch dealer and have him look at it and go from there. Or just google receivers for your type of car. There's alot of kits out there for the do-it-yourselfers.

This one looks to be 1 1/4"

http://www.instructables.com/id/Installing-a-trailer-hitch-on-a-small-car/

http://www.google.com/products?q=tr...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CEgQrQQwAg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  11. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Also wanted to pass along this useful info if you've never dealt with hitches before..

Trailer Hitch Class FAQ

12. jacksmom97

jacksmom97 jacksmom97

thanks! this will be really helpful!

13. Dave

Dave New Member

I have tried them all and recently put a hitch on SUV and went with w Swagman platform rack. Absolutely great value. I shopped for the hitch and U-Haul installed 2" for $185. Bought Swagman on line for $147. Everyone who see my Swagman is impressed with the ease of use and the protection for the bikes and vehicle. I tried temporary mount, upright hitch mount, Saris, Thule, Yakima and went with Swagman Platform.

14. jacksmom97

jacksmom97 jacksmom97

OK guys...I caved and bought the Saris BONES 3 which will hold my hybrid and my son's MTB and I had the guy at the LBS put the darn thing on my car. AHHHH...so that is the way it is suppose to look...I can do this! I have loaded and unloaded the bikes and the rack a few times and it is easy. I did some research on hitches and racks and the cost really made me consider the Saris BONES 3. Thanks for everyone's imput! Without it, I would still be asking to borrow my husband's truck to take our bikes out.

15. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Good for you. Glad you found something that works for ya. Trunk mounts are not all toooooo bad. And yea..the cost of a hitch mount and receiver can be daunting up front. Specially when you need the whole shubang all at once.

16. jacksmom97

jacksmom97 jacksmom97

Well yeah, and then there are the other things like the bike shorts and the helmet (that'll be my next question) and the gel seat...but it is still probably less than other hobbies!

17. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Uh Oh...I wouldn't mention 'Gel Seat' too loudly.:rolleyes::D You'll probly get 10%-pro & 90%-
    con.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010