Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just stopping by to see if anybody wanted to offer up some advice on purchasing my first road bike. I just graduated college, got a job far away from family and friends, and am looking for a starter road bike to ride occasionally and possibly use in a triathlon from time to time. Looking for thoughts on what kind of specs I should be looking for, new vs used, etc. Any input appreciated.

Joe

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
First get fit at a bike shop. Then shop used. You can get an older model with awesome features for a good price. If you stick with it, upgrade. That is what I did....mostly.

·
889 Posts
First get fit at a bike shop. Then shop used. You can get an older model with awesome features for a good price. If you stick with it, upgrade. That is what I did....mostly.
Yep, purchasing an "older" model may help you save some money. And as ominvox42 stated, go to a good bike shop and get properly fitted as well. You won't believe what a difference a properly sized bike makes!

We just had a few users purchase the Specialized Allez. It's an aluminium "race" bike and is a pretty good bang for the buck. I tried out an Allez when I purchased my Roubaix and was pretty impressed. In the end, I went with the Roubaix because it was a little more forgiving of a ride for my old man back. But the Allez was pretty sweet.

And not to shamelessly plug Specialized, but they are running a promotion right now in conjunction with the Tour de France... you can get $200, $400 or $600 worth of gear and equipment depending on what model you buy.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
+1 for the allez. I just picked up the allez sport and could not be happier with the machine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts