Help: Rank the bikes

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by bdshan, Aug 26, 2010.

1. bdshan

bdshan New Member

I am looking to buy my first new bike in almost 15 years. I have riding off and on throughout that time. I am looking at a hybrid. I am planning on riding mostly on paved roads, but I also want the ability to take my kids on the trails in the local park. I have been trying to establish a list of bikes to source and test ride. Below is what I have come up with. based on your experience can you rank the bikes I have listed. I know I'll choose the one that is the most comfortable for me, but would like a baseline to focus my energies.

Jamis Coda Elite
    Specialized Sirrus Comp
    Kona Dr. Dew
    Cannondale Quick CX
    Bianchi Camaleonte 2
    Fuji Absolute 1.0/2.0
    Felt Speed 50
    Scott Sub 20

2. rkoscelnik

rkoscelnik New Member

I have a Giant Cypress for this type of riding. I have ridden it 50+ miles down the trails in South Dakota as well as street rides in Colorado. Also use it to commute occasionally. I think its a great bike for trails and road...can't say anything about the bikes you listed as I haven't really ridden any of them.

3. flanderscycling

flanderscycling New Member

1) Bianchi, because all good cycle gear is "made in Italy", except for EM-frames, who come from Belgium (as you could know)

4. froze

froze Banned

I like Kona's because I own a Lava Dome and it's very well built, but otherwise I don't really care because I've never ridden any on your list.

5. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

6. bdshan

bdshan New Member

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I got a chance to test ride a couple bikes over the weekend. Wasn't super impressed with the selection some of the local shops had. Should I contact the store before hand and have them build the right size bike I want to test ride? Makes sense to me but I don't know what is common practice in the industry.

Anyways here is a short summary.

Coda Comp - 21.5"
    A bit too big for me, but the only thing in the Coda line the shop had. Next closest Jamis dealer is about an hour away. First time riding a hybrid with the skinny road tires. I found the ride to be very stiff, which lead to some great handling, but I felt every bump and imperfection in the road. I wasn't really prepared when the front tire went up on a small rock then jumped off it a couple inches to the side. Shifting was very smooth. Like I told the shop the front derailleur needed adjustment. I rode for about 3.5 miles and developed numbness in my fingers, which is one of my biggest complaints about my current 15 year old bike.

Camaleonte 1 - Mens Small
    May have been a tad small, but I was comfortable. Took this one out on what would be my primary riding scene, suburban streets with a touch of gravel parking lot thrown in for varied terrain. I thought the ride was much smoother than the Coda, but the shifting was clunky. And again the front derailleur needed adjustment, had trouble going up and when I was on the biggest ring and would downshift it would skip down to the smallest ring, very annoying. Handling was good, had great stopping power. I was comfortable in the gravel as well, and on retrospect not so sure I would have like the Coda in the gravel given the rock experience.

I am going to try to find another Jamis dealer with a properly sized bike. In the mean time I found single shop that has Bianchi, Fuji, and Kona. I am going to contact them today to see if I can arrange to test ride my selected models in the proper size back to back.

7. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I ride a Fuji Absolute 1.0 I have about 2500 miles on it since March it seams to go thrugh chains fast I got about 1500 miles on my chain that I clean and lube every 150 miles or so, it has poped a cupple of spokes but I weight 240#. I like the disc brakes, and it rides good. I think a 8 or 9 speed might get more ware on the chain, but I have heard some one with a 2.0 complain about the brakes on thers.

Good luck on your quest for the right bike hope I have bin of some help.

I think my next bike will be a touring bike low gears and heavy duty for this pacaderm :D

8. momule

momule New Member

Your LBS will not build a bike for you to test ride but they may give you some comparables to try and then tell you about other options. If you trust them then trust them but it never hurts to find another bike shop with demos to ride. My point is that your LBS will look at you as somewhat of a newbie and why would they want to build a bike only for what they consider to be your somewhat uninformed viewpoint. Again, if you trust them then ride what they offer per your conversation and then be prepared to go to another bike shop if you have second thoughts. You would be amazed at the difference of opinion tween different shops... You are the buyer so you have the power.

9. spoco57

spoco57 New Member

I love my Fuji Absolute, though mine is the 3.0. Light perfectly geared and good geometry.... it all fits me and my style well. Have fun choosing.

10. momule

momule New Member

Cannondale

I really would hate for you to buy a hybrid without testing one or two in the Cannondale line. I am riding a Quick CXFS and love it. although they don't make it anymore. You're looking at $1000+ though and for casual riding with the kids on pavement and some easy trails it might be overkill. The other option would be the 2011 CX4 or the Quick 4. Both of these are excellent bikes with price points around $700 or less and while they are not suspension bikes they're solid, light, responsive and fun. If you need suspension forks and disc brakes the Cannondale F4 was a great bike.

I think I'd buy a gently used 08 or 09 and take it to my local shop for appraisal if I had to do it again. They'll work with you if you spend some initial money on a tuneup or accessories. You're doing your homework and that's most important. If you're looking at anything other than a 2011 model check out this site for information about many of the steeds you are considering: BikePedia

I like thinking about buying a new bike second only to riding the one I already have. Take your time and enjoy !!!

11. Saugus18

Saugus18 Specialized Crosstrail

It's quite obvious that many here have far more experience than I do with other bikes... I went looking for a new one at the local LBS. I test rode a Giant MB, which was nice, but geared way to low for me, and I wasn't gonna be climbing mountains anyway. Then I tried the Giant Cypress... much better in just about every respect, but still wasn't ready to buy. Then I looked at the Specialized Crosstrail at another shop. Asthetically, I loved the looks of it right away, then I gave it a test ride. I really can't explain why, but right away I just knew this was the bike for me... it just had a certain feel, it seemed it was faster, had a more sporty type feel to it, very nimble bike. I bought it on the spot.

I have no doubt that there's other bikes out there that I would like even more, but I didn't have that much money, and the guy sold it to me for $60.00 less than anywhere else, including online. I couldn't pass it up. I love the hell out of it after getting new tires, seat, grips and adjusting everything the way I like it. It really is a solid great ride for the price I paid for it. I would have no problem telling others to take a close look at this bike if they were looking for a new bike and was on a budget.

12. froze

froze Banned

Experience? All the experience in the world from others could not tell you which bike would work best for you! Only you could do that, and you did a fine job of it, congrats on a buying a nice bike.