Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a S/S from a Jamis 631 steel bike with disc brakes . I think the brake levers are going to be the hardest part, I would like to get them on the taper of the road bar and turn the bar upside down and cut at the turn to make a short bullhorn. I have selected a 50-24T but thay are out of 24T so 23T will have to do for now. I am guessing I nead some spacers and an old casette to put the 23T on. I want to keeps many parts as I can as thay will fit the jamis I am rideing ,same bike, this bike is new but 2 years old sitting in the shop I got it for a good price. I have taken off the fenders and rack and have road it like it was a S/S to find the gear I want. So how about it, sugestions.

Attachments

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Is that a double or triple chainwheel. In conversions I have done in the past (with threaded hubs),I tended to use the middle ring or inner ring position to help a good chain line. However this can limit the chainring size.You will need some spacers on the rear hub definitely. I don't think the brake levers should be that much of a problem on the underside of the upturned trimmed bars at the end.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Between our local classified ads and eBay, I have found bullhorns for $20, so I wouldn't bother with the flop & chop. I use PVC pipe to cut spacers for the hub. That's going to cost about sixty cents.

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have a lathe over here so if pvc will do for spacers I should have that covered, I was looking at a set of levers like thay use in cycle cross in front of the bar. I guess I nead a chain tensioner allso, I see some say fit up to 20T sprocket and I want a 24. I could use the center chain ring as you sugested I will have to see what sprocket I nead, I will ride it in the center chain ring today and see what rear sprocket I like. I might look into changing the dropouts allso, then no tensioner neader

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I think the bike would look cleaner using the outer chain ring. Making your own spacers you will be able to place your rear cog anywhere you like on your existing hub keeping your chain line as close as possible.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
You can also use your brifters for your brake levers giving you a nice comfortable hood to ride on.

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ben I don't know I think for the Tour de Swamp I will stick with gears ;) :rolleyes:

Davereo I ride mostly with my hands in the strate part of the bar, my thaught was to turn the bar over cut it so I would have just a little bit sticking up and use thet like the hoods.

I allso have to look at the dropouts better I think I will have to use what is there or the disc brake may be a problum.

The middle chain ring and the outer are held on by the same bolts I will have to look at that better

Keep the sugestions comeing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts