Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a bike and am concerned about the correct fit. I am almost 5'5". What size frame would be the most comfortable for me ? I am looking along the lines of a vintage Raleigh 10 speed. Thanks !

Barb b.

·
Registered
43 Posts
47cm-15.35" somewhere around there
You are so very right ! Honestly I am in full praise for you. You are the only person who so confidently gave the right answer. :thumbsup:
Now members don't get me wrong I know there are a lot of parameters !

@wild I would certainly like to learn from you, how about , did you come to this measurement ?

I had a harrowing time deciding on my fit, and all the website calculators gave me answer of 50 -51cm size. I knew that was wrong , but just couldn't try the bike since I had to mail order the bike. I am 5'5" and I ride a 47cm frame.

you would be surprised but a i ordered a 51cm. It seems the company calls the top tube length as 51, so all in all I got c-t size of 47.

Do let me know your calculation method :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad you figured out the correct size bike. When I went in to a LBS before I bought my bike, the guy had me straddle a 58cm road bike. He looked at the distance between my "crotch" and top tube, and said that was my size. Another bike shop was a bit shocked at that sizing, but the funny thing is, he said 58cm was fine as well.

Good luck and hope the bike is everything you want.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Sizing a bike is a bit of an art. It's not just the size, but the length of the top tube that can make a great deal of difference. Then you have the differences in fit between road mountain and recumbent. It really is all about balance and one thing affects the other.

I have a Fuji road bike, and it was a close fit so the 10 minute test ride didn't show the problems. But it didn't fit. My knees ended up too far in front of the pedals. It would cause knee pain after a few days of consistent riding. Realized the saddle needed to go back. Put it back all the way and again close, but not close enough. The pain was still there.

The set back seat posts with enough set back cost more than the bike for a bike that I might could ride. That wasn't an option so I bought a Forte seat post and used a neighbors pipe bender and made one out of a $20 post. I got the saddle back far enough so the knees were where they should be, but not so fast. When I bent the seat post back the saddle now pointed in a direction that no guy would ever ride it that way very far. Got the grinder tool on the dremel and got the saddle pointed in a direction that didn't make me a Eunuch. Not done yet.

When I got the backside in the right spot, the handle bars were not in the right spot. They were too low and really too far forward. I could ride on the center of the bar, but the drops and hoods were out of the question. I ended up rotating the bars so I could ride on the center and the hoods. I never rode in the drops anyway. If I rode that bike more, I would probably try to raise the handlebars, but I have found a way where the bike sort of fits me.

The point of the story is one thing affect others and frame size is just a starting point. Sometimes it takes patience

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Vintage Raleigh 10 speed was a good start and allmost 5'5" was in the calculation and 47cm is the next size frame down from 50 that I ride I am 5'8". I will say that the top tube is one of the things. I like a short TT as old age don't let me bend as good as I did. I would rather have the TT little short than long as you can get a longer stem but if you go too short you can make the bike verry twitchy.
¢¢

1 - 7 of 7 Posts