Help With SPD-SL

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by StormStrikes, Jun 23, 2020.

1. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

Given that one of the remaining issues I have with riding, having worked out the bottom bracket issue, the saddle issue, I want to tackle the feet issue now and getting some hot spots on the longer rides.

I bought a set of Lake SPD-SL shoes last year and pedals also. They seemed to be good, providing a bit wider distribution over the foot area, but I distinctly remember them being dang difficult to unclip from. I had the Yellow cleats on them.

My understanding is that the Red cleats are fixed, the Blue cleats are 2* of float and the Yellow cleats are 6* of float.

I have looked all over this place and cannot find my pedals, so I am going to have to buy a new set and I thought while I am at it, make sure I am understanding the cleats properly.

Am I correct in my understanding that a larger degree of float not only allows a bit of foot movement while pedaling, but it also should be easier to unclip from? Or did I miss something?

2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I'd honestly had never heard of the blue cleats before. I've ever seen anybody ride anything but yellow. I've never heard of the degrees of float making it any easier to unclip although I could see that.

What not look at Speedplay? I'm sure the first rebuttal will be hot spots given the size and shape :D I've ridden them for 2 or 3 years now and don't see any need to ever look back. Much better feeling foot to pedal to be very frank, at lest for me. Oddly feels like a MUCH BETTER foot contact.

Dos_Ruedas likes this.

3. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

Well, the expense of buying yet another pair of cycling shoes, new pedals, etc. are why I have not tried Speedplay. Though, it does seem, from various forums, a few bike fitters here and there, etc., that Speedplay is a better platform.

Had I not invested in the SPD-SL setup already, I would consider it, but for now I need to stick with what I have, unless some ridiculous deal shows up somewhere.

As far as the size of the pedal, this was the reason I bought over-sized MTB pedals and it has not fully addressed the issue. I don't suspect SPD-SL will do much better, but I'd like to give it a shot to make sure.

This is complicated, though, by the fact there seems to be no real consensus as to what causes hot spots. I have read reasons all over the spectrum and each one comes with its own expense if you want to experiment with it being the solution.

The one consistent across both platforms has been that once I feel it coming on or when it is in progress, I can unclip and get near instant relief. Which has given rise to the consideration of just going back to platform pedals.

rola643 likes this.
  4. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

Shoes shouldn't be a factor. I have been riding Speedplay since 2012 and have not bought 4 hole shoes yet. The pedals come with an adapter plate to allow interoperability between your 3 hole shoes and the 4 hole baseplate.

Dos_Ruedas and StormStrikes like this.
  5. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

Brilliant. Well I guess it's good, after all, that I bought the shoes last year, otherwise all I would have is my MTB shoes.

6. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

True, just a tidbit: make sure your torque values for the bolts are accurate and keep your cleats clean with speedplay.

Dos_Ruedas, rola643 and StormStrikes like this.
  7. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member