Help With Trainer

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by StormStrikes, May 16, 2020.

1. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

Tonight I tried a workout on the trainer that I included an interval for Zone 7 power which at my current FTP puts me holding 320W+ for that particular interval. However, I ran into an issue and ultimately had to bail on that particular interval.

When I started into that interval, my tire started spinning out quite a bit on the trainer so there was a whole lot of extra effort trying to hold that level. I was able to do so for the first three such intervals, but the last two I just could not do it. It spins out some in Zone 6, but I can manage it. I never tried a Zone 7 interval until tonight.

I have never used a trainer tire before, but I am wondering if that is something that would help? I use a Kurt Kinetic trainer and the roller is in good contact with the tire. I usually turn the tension know two full turns from first contact with the tire.

Having never encountered this issue before I am at a loss as to how to address it or if it can be.

newleaf150 likes this.
  2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

My only suggestion would be 2.5 turns from contact. I've used that for serval years and hit well above that with no issue. Never been above 750 ish tho.

3. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

Okay, I can give that a try. Does that add additional difficulty at the lower levels? Or is it purely for maintaining good contact?

4. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

No, just tire contact and the load on bearing and spokes :D. Trainer difficulty should be set in the trainer itself. I use a Wahoo and for years left it at the default 50% and this year have moved it to 80% which can be brutal on some of the hills in Zwift

5. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

Oh, well Im still in the 2010's. I have a dumb trainer.

rola643 likes this.
  6. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

I have the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. I do three turns from when the roller just makes contact and keep tire pressure constant. Never had an issue at any watt range. Not sure what’s going on with yours

rola643 likes this.
  7. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

Three turns? Wow. I have never went past two turns. I was always concerned it would be putting too much pressure on the tire. I will try Rola's two and a half first and if there is still some spinning out, I will bump it up to three, then.

MilesR likes this.
  8. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

The start is barely touching. The first one and a quarter turn still feels really east on the thumb and forefinger.

9. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

I reset the trainer roller. I have a mark on the adjuster so I can relate where it is at in relation to when contact with the tire is made. I turned it 2.5 turns from there. I have done a couple workouts with some Zone 6 efforts in them and it was 'better' but still slipped on the initial spin up.

My FTP is nothing to write home about, in fact, even before my leg issues when I was working out most days and riding a lot, I don't recall my FTP ever being over 240W. Of course, with less riding due to the issues my FTP crashed.

Before I bought the Trek, which, despite the things I dislike about it, is a better fit for me and addressed most of the issues from the larger frame I had. Thus I have been able to ride a little more and distance is increasing. With the virus mess I have been working out indoors, a lot. As a result I have been able to bring my FTP back up some, roughly 25W since I started the indoor workouts.

Workouts I do in Zone 4 put me under or over my FTP depending on how hard I push the interval. Zone 6, however, maxes out at roughly 147% of FTP or 320W.

All that said (you guys know by now I'm long winded, deal with it :) ) to say that if the trainer holds at Zone 6 as well as it has for the last couple of workouts, I will be okay with that. I don't really see the need to train at Zone 7, but it would have been nice to push myself there.

I told the wife if I can keep up this current indoor workout pace or at least equivalent outdoor riding (I haven't been able to ride outdoors due to the wife having surgery and is currently immobile and will be so for at least another couple weeks) I am probably going to invest in a direct drive smart trainer. Though I am tempted to just buy the Kurt Kinetic Control Power Unit too. I just don't know how it would work, if at all, with the Garmin Connect workouts I have set up.

I've been designing my own workouts and it has been kind of fun seeing what crazy things I can do yet still push the limits somewhat.

rola643 likes this.